Erin Franczak

ABC's of Greek Life: Phi Kappa Theta philanthropy event

Every year Phi Kappa Theta, a social fraternity on campus, hosts the Polar Plunge event at Lake Snowden near the Ohio University campus, which works towards fundraising for the Special Olympics.

“It’s kind of just a challenge to yourself, in a sense going out and doing the Plunge,” said former philanthropy chair and Vice President David Torok.

Each member of Phi Kappa Theta tries to raise $50, but more brothers are looking to raise more than what is necessary. They hope to raise around $30,000 in total.

Torok also pointed out that the philanthropy chair has been in his family since the Polar Plunge was chosen as the philanthropy. His fraternity little is currently in the role as philanthropy chair and Torok is extremely pleased to pass it down and show him the ropes.

When asked what this event meant to him, Matt Schone, philanthropy chair, said “The Polar Plunge is more than just a philanthropy for us. We enjoy coming together as brothers and giving back.”

Unfortunately, this year the Polar Plunge had to be postponed until November because of construction, but they will be returning and it will be just as successful other years. I am personally looking forward to attending the event and see the difference these men are making by taking the plunge.

Because the event was postponed, the president, Austin Prestridge, discussed their plans for an event this semester. He said they are thinking about a spaghetti dinner at Overhang near the end of February. It will be $5 and local businesses will be helping out by donating gift cards and other merchandise.

There will be raffles, food, a good time, and most importantly all the money goes to a charity. They are hoping to give the proceeds to Personnel Plus, an organization that works to give jobs to mentally disabled men and women. This event is definitely worth going to and I would highly suggest going. I can’t wait to go and be in attendance.

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. What philanthropy events do you look forward to most? Let Erin know by emailing her at ef441614@ohio.edu.