Greetings from Hyderabad: Travel abroad outside of your comfort zone

All students at Ohio University have the opportunity to study abroad but whether it seems feasible is another question all together. But with programs that cater to so many different majors, interests and destinations, it is hard to imagine why so many students do not take advantage of these opportunities. 

As someone who has studied abroad, in India no less, I know that it can be terrifying. You’re going to a foreign country by yourself, leaving behind your friends, your family and Ohio University. But here’s the catch- it’s all going to be waiting for you when you come back after your study abroad program.

When you have the first though of “it would be so cool to study abroad," half the time it is followed with “but I can’t because …” More often than not, this reason that follows has something to do with missing out on something happening here at Ohio University. 

You have to go outside of you comfort zone to really find out who you are as a person. I know that I missed out on a lot of things here in Athens while I was gone, but I also know that I experienced so many incredible things during my time in India.

Life is a game of trade-offs. Are you going to stay here and treasure the things that you already know? Or are you going to hop on a plane to god-knows-where and experience something that you thought would never happen to you? The fear of missing out should not hold you back from one of the most defining times of your life — that is if you’re interested in it. 

Yes, it was hard for me being abroad during the Marching 110 season, but I also created another family overseas, went to the Taj Mahal, volunteered at a school and a boarding house for disenfranchised youth and went on a camel safari.

I think the movie Cinderella Story had it right; “Don’t let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” Go out there and take risks, be brave and be amazed by the incredible things that you are capable of.

Sarah Strinka is a junior studying global studies: war and peace and political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you have a question for Sarah about India? Email her at s452713@ohio.edu.