Chanda Cuckler jumps a hurdle during the second heat of the women's 100 meter hurdles during the 2016 All-Ohio Track & Field Championship. Cuckler placed third with a time of 14.29. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio has strong day at the Doug Raymond Invitational

Ohio had a strong day at the Doug Raymond Invitational, where it picked three event victories and multiple high finishes at Kent State.

Those strong performances Saturday should help bolster the confidence of the young Bobcats as they were able to perform well in crowded events featuring athletes from Kent State, Bowling Green, Youngstown State and Duquesne.

The three Bobcats that picked up wins were Oliva Mayfield in the long jump with a jump of 5.56 meter, Emily Deering in the 800 meter with a time of 2:17.55 and Alyssa Atkinson in the 3000 meter with a time of 9:53.53.

The 3000-meter event was the strongest event for Ohio on the day because along with Atkinson’s win, Ohio had Christina Seas, Emily Cass, and Madison Sury finish fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively.

Other strong performances for Ohio came from Jordan Potter who finished fifth in the shot put with a throw of 13.69 meters, Taylor Smith who came in sixth in the high jump with a jump of 1.60 meters, and Ohio’s ‘A’ relay team consisting of Marissa Handel, Erin Stewart, Emily Deering and Gracie Huffman that came in fourth in the 4x400 meter relay with a time of 3:59.49.

Ohio came into the meet after having more than a month off in between meets. The Bobcats only came away with one event win in that December meet. The three wins and multiple high finishes over the weekend should give the Bobcats some momentum to carry with them the rest of the season.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu