The Convocation Center on Oct. 9, 2014. 

What to expect from the Bobcats in Spring Semester

With the second semester underway, here's a look at what a fan might expect from each Bobcat team.

Men’s Basketball: Ohio is beginning to gel right in time. Ohio received an epiphany of sorts after losing to Western Kentucky 67-66 on Dec. 21. Since its one-point loss, Ohio has won three consecutive games and has outscored its last three opponents by 76 combined points. The Bobcats' upcoming slate isn’t easy, though. They travel to Buffalo — the same team that beat Ohio in last year’s MAC Tournament — on Tuesday. After facing Eastern Michigan at home Jan. 14, Ohio travels to Akron and Northern Illinois during the week of Jan. 17. Ohio’s true test is coming. -Luke O’Roark

Athens High School Basketball: Athens currently sits in second place in the Tri-Valley Conference Ohio division, behind Vinton County, to whom the team already lost. If the two teams continue with the same pace, the Jan. 27 matchup between the two at Vinton County probably will decide the division winner. Bulldogs senior Griffin Lutz will be key, as the offense is run through him. The fast-pace wanted by coach Mickey Cozart that has to start on the defensive end will depend on Lutz and his teammates forcing turnovers — which they have shown they can do. -Trevor Colgan

Wrestling: Sitting at 4-4 (2-2 MAC) Ohio looks to be in the groove as it has won two of its last three duals. The Bobcats face the gauntlet of their season schedule as they only have three more home duals out of eight. Four of those matches are against conference rivals including Kent State who topped the Bobcats last year by a score of 20-15. Yet with key returnees such as sophomores Shakur Laney (125 lbs.) and Cameron Kelly (133 lbs.), Ohio looks to grind through the tough schedule with confidence. -Matt Parker

Swim and Dive: The win over Denison was a good sign for Ohio coming into the new year as it won 13 of the 16 events including all freestyle and both diving events. Corrin Van Lanen, Mikayla Herich and Emily Zimcosky continued to lead Ohio as they combined for eight first-place finishes and will continue to be the top performers as they are the most consistent swimmers on the team. Ohio won both diving events for the first time this season against Denison. There are just two dual meets and one two-day invite before the Mid-American Conference Championships. The team needs to continue to improve for Ohio to place better at the conference championships than the sixth place it has earned the past two years. -Eric Walker

Women’s Basketball: Ohio fell in its third conference game of the season to Northern Illinois. If that loss is anything like the other two, Ohio is going to need to fix its offensive struggles. In the two losses before conference play, Ohio couldn’t make the easy shots and got into foul trouble early. The Bobcats beat what looked to be their toughest competitor early in conference play in Buffalo, but the rest of the MAC still has Ohio on the radar as a threat and Northern Illinois proved that. The Bobcats have played some of their best basketball following a loss, so look for them to bounce back strong at Akron on Jan. 11. -Wynston Wilcox

Track and Field: After dropping the season opener to Marshall, the track and field team will look to use the break to improve on the performances in Huntington in the season opener, so that they can start 2017 off right Jan. 14 at Kent State. Ohio will look to continue to get key contributions in field events from seniors Emma Ryan, Olivia Mayfield and Taylor Smith. During in the track events, Ohio will look to improve finishes in all events and continue the success of the 4x400 meter relay team. -Jimmy Farmer

@ThePostSports