Gaza Odunaiya practices the hammer throw during track and field practice March 24. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio's improvement stays consistent despite better competition

Ohio wrapped up the two-day Meyo Invitational at Notre Dame on Friday and Saturday with some improvement in some areas, but not in the overall place finished. 

While finishes were not as high as they have previously been this season, Ohio continued to put up consistent numbers in its events against some of the best competition seen this season. 

The field was 42 schools, including athletes from the Atlantic Coast Conference, the Big Ten and rivals from the Mid-American Conference, among others.

Gaza Odunaiya came in 12th with a throw of 16.96 meters in the weight throw. Teammate Emma Ryan finished 18th in the same event with a throw of 15.96 meters.

Alyssa Atkinson came in 15th in the 5k with a time of 16:54.73.

Jordan Porter came in 17th in the shot put with a throw of 13.91 meters.

Ohio's medley distance relay team of Madison Sury, Kaitlyn Logan, Abby Miller and Emily Deering came in 18th with a time of 12:12.70.  

This consistency coupled with steady improvement in the times, jumps and throws is what the Bobcats are looking for at these meets as they try to qualify for the MAC meet at the end of the month.

“We are progressing through the indoor season getting ready for the MAC Championship at the end of February,” coach Clay Calkins said.

The Bobcats will look to continue this consistency and improve finishes when they head back to Marshall for the third time this indoor season in the two-day Marshall Invitational on Feb. 10-11.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu