Democrats Discuss: Don't be apathetic

The 2016 presidential election was a long, controversial and ugly campaign for both sides. The unpopularity of both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump resulted in low voter turnout among young people compared to previous elections. Nov. 8 came and went, and now we’re left with Donald Trump as president with Republican control of the House and Senate. It’s no secret that youth voters are mostly democrats, and recent protests in response to President Trump across the country prove that many Americans aren’t happy with our politics.

Ohio University students make up a large chunk of the Athens County voting population, a county that voted in favor of Hillary Clinton. For the majority of students here who are unhappy with the results, it’s easy to give up hope and tune out of our politics. The reality, however, is that even if you tune out of our politics, our politics don’t tune out of your lives. Elected officials at the federal, state and local levels are creating policy every day that affects the lives of all Americans whether you’re paying attention or not. Now, more than ever, it’s crucial to stay hopeful and active in the political system of our nation.

During the election, I volunteered for Democrats up and down the ballot in Ohio, but I felt the most motivated to fight for what’s right after the election. Since the election, I’ve participated in protests, called my elected officials at all levels of government to express my concerns, and I’ve refused to accept that this is the new normal. I urge all young people who are concerned like myself to be more active and engaged than ever before. We’re the next generation of leaders, and this country will soon be ours.

Barack Obama reiterated a core principle of his presidency in his farewell address to the nation on Jan. 10 when he asked one last time “to believe, not in my ability to create change, but in yours.”

Alex is a freshman studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you get politically involved? Let Alex know by tweeting him @alexjackson716.