Ex Post Facto: Former OU trustee found guilty of running pill mill; APD fields vehicle break-in reports

A building on College Green will see improvements later this year, and a former Ohio University Board of Trustees member will face time in prison for running a pill mill. Here’s more information on the top stories from week four of Spring Semester.

Ellis Hall to become the latest university building to undergo renovations

Ellis Hall will be out of commission for about a year beginning in October.

The building, which houses departments such as classics and world religions, English and philosophy, will undergo $13 million in renovations.

“If you look at the exterior paint on the building, it’s peeling off,” William Owens, associate professor and chair of the classics and world religions department, said. “It’s just incredible. It looks like s---. It’s really shameful that it was allowed to deteriorate like that so much.”

The renovations will include the reconfiguration of the third-floor space and the addition of a new elevator and single-user restrooms to improve the overall accessibility of the building.

During construction, all Ellis Hall faculty will transfer their offices to Lindley Hall, while students will attend class in Tupper Hall.

Former trustee to face federal prison time for running a ‘pill mill’

A former OU Board of Trustees member pleaded guilty to drug, tax and fraud charges and to being involved in the illegal distribution of prescription drugs.

Dr. Kevin Lake of New Albany was found guilty of evading more than $3.5 million in taxes and agreed to pay restitution out of $29 million worth of earnings from the location of the illicit activity, the Columbus Southern Medical Center, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Justice. He will also face up to five years in federal prison.

Lake’s plea deal was released Jan. 30 and included statements in which he acknowledged doctors and staff were prescribing drugs, such as oxycodone and Xanax, to patients without legitimate medical reason from 2006 to 2013.

“For seven years, Kevin Lake operated Columbus Southern Medical Center as a pill mill,” U.S. Attorney Benjamin Glassman said in the release. “He got rich by feeding the addictions of hundreds and hundreds of people.”

Lake stepped down from the board Jan. 21, a day after the trustees met in Athens, OU Spokeswoman Carly Leatherwood said.

Athens Police Department receives dozens of vehicle break-in reports

In a one month period between Dec. 10 and Jan. 10, the Athens Police Department recorded about 32 vehicle break-ins.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said for the most part no damage was done to cars. Lack of damage led authorities to infer that thieves are targeting unlocked cars or have a method for breaking into locked cars.

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson is encouraging residents to report any suspicious activity and take precautions to ensure their property isn’t damaged or stolen.

“We’re asking people to be extra vigilant, and if you do have any valuables at all in your vehicle, take it out,” he said.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu