Tyler Corbit

Tyler's Bit: There is more to life than being mad about politics

If writing about politics has taught me anything, it’s that writing about politics is rarely fun. A lot of times I can think of at least a dozen other things I would rather be doing. Republicans are at odds with Republicans, Democrats are at war with Democrats, and they both hate each other more than they hate members of their own party. 

There are a lot better things to do than fight someone who you would probably be friends with if they didn’t have differing political beliefs. Politics divide people, but guess what doesn’t? Good weather. And, global warming beliefs set aside, enjoying this heat wave should let everyone cross the aisle and enjoy each other based on similarities.

Here is my craziest thought in a while: put down your phone, close out of Twitter. No one cares that you hate Donald Trump or think Hillary should be in prison or Bernie Sanders should be our president. Go take a walk on College Green, enjoy throwing a Frisbee or petting a dog on the quad. Everyone loves those things, no one will fight you on Twitter for liking dogs. Utilize the massively long bike trails we have, and go on a run. Yeah, I don’t want to see your workout pics, but I would take that over seeing you brag about your liberal tears mug. 

Yes, politics decide the direction our country is going in, but people need to talk about more than just the state of congress in their free time. For instance, have you ever listened to Kendrick Lamar? He is so much cooler than Rob Portman or Chuck Schumer.

Diversify your interests. Don't let your political opinions define who you are because there is far more to life than what happens on Capitol Hill. My closest friends all voted for different candidates for the presidency. It didn’t divide us; it gave us a way to discuss our differing opinions, but it didn’t change anyone’s opinion of the other. Fighting over 5 percent at most of who someone really is can be so petty, let your conservative friend be conservative and your liberal friend be liberal and let them live.

Next time you’re going to fight someone with your keyboard, take a step back and think, what better could I be doing? Perhaps enjoying the sun or discovering music’s best artist, Kendrick Lamar. Spending that time constantly angry because someone doesn’t feel the exact same way as you must get hard, have some fun.

Tyler Corbit is a freshman studying journalism with a focus in strategic communication at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. How do you escape the political debate that is Twitter? Let Tyler know by tweeting him @tylercorbit.