Warm weather spurs strong attendance at High Fest

Partiers in summer clothes and squirrel costumes enjoyed the heat of the first weekend of spring at High Fest on Saturday.

A person dressed as a dinosaur danced in front of police, a grandpa posed with a man dressed as male genitalia and partygoers donned marijuana-themed clothing. Many partygoers said High Fest was better than Mill Fest, which took place March 18.

Hannah Love, a junior studying communication, said she preferred the more roomy High Fest to Mill Fest.

“I feel like each house has a little bit more yard, so I feel like more people can be by each house and it takes longer for the cops to break things up,” Love said.

Emma Imbus, a senior studying integrated healthcare studies, described High Fest as a wildcard.

“You don’t know what to expect,” Imbus said. “It could be really wild right from the start or it could be like this where it’s not that crazy, but you know it’s going to pick up. It’s a lot of fun. I love it.”

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson was also in attendance for High Fest.

“The interesting thing about High Street is that there are three very distinctive segments to it, and so each one has its own feel. No wonder you see people walking back and forth,” Patterson said.

Ohio University Police Department Lieutenant Tim Ryan said fest goers were being pretty mellow.

“People are being pretty good,” Ryan said. “They’re keeping a nice, clean street.”

Alyssa Kaleel, a senior studying communication sciences and disorders, echoed Ryan’s feelings.

“It's a lot calmer than I thought,” Kaleel said. “I saw a girl crying, but that's it.”

OUPD Captain George Harlow said by 1:55 p.m. the Ohio Investigative Unit had three arrests.

Athens Police Chief Tom Pyle said police had shut down three or four parties by 2 p.m.

“They’re all in violation of the nuisance party ordinance at this point,” he said.

Some turned High Fest into a financial opportunity. Drivers of a car with a giant can of Red Bull on the back passed out cans of the energy drink to people. Some partiers started charging others to use their bathrooms — but apparently didn’t live up to their potty promises.

Rhett Braglin, who is not currently enrolled at Ohio University, said he payed a dollar to use the restroom at a house, but was kicked out before he could make use of his purchase.

By 4 p.m, most of the parties were being shut down — the same time as last year. Some students weren’t happy about the early shutdown.

Madeline Grube, a senior studying commercial photography, said in previous years fests were shut down later in the evening.

“I don’t understand why (the police) are shutting it down at 2:25 p.m.,” Grube said. “What is getting out of hand in this situation?”

Her older sister, Hillary Grube, a 2015 OU alumna, said the fests weren’t shut down until later when she was a student.

“When I was a freshman, you went from the fest straight to the bars, so there was never any in between,” she said.

Some students come to High Fest not to drink or party, but to experience the culture of those around them.

Autumn Powell, a freshman studying communication, said she was impressed by the fests she’s seen so far.

“This is one of my first fests,” Powell said. “I was at Mill Fest and then this is my second weekend. I think they’re fun, I love them. I think it’s cool to see everyone together.”

Brianne Henry, a senior studying early childhood education, said she likes the way everyone gets together during fest season.

“Especially as a senior, I’ve seen a lot of alums come back, which is cool because we can be reunited in a cool way,” she said.

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu