Chanda Cuckler jumps a hurdle during the second heat of the women's 100 meter hurdles during the 2016 All-Ohio Track & Field Championship. Cuckler placed third with a time of 14.29. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio earns heap of personal records at Bob Davidson Spring Kickoff

Ohio's athletes earned a heap of lifetime personal records and seasonal personal records this weekend. 

The Bobcats traveled to High Point for the Bob Davidson Spring Kickoff, and they achieved 12 lifetime personal records and 21 season personal records. The Bobcats placed eighth overall among a field of 16 schools, achieving a score of 55.5.

The Bobcats’ solid outing began Friday when senior sprinter Olivia Mayfield achieved a lifetime personal record in the 100 meter. Mayfield placed fifth in her heat with a time of 12.34 seconds.

Mayfield also achieved a lifetime personal record in the finals of the 200-meter dash. She placed fourth in her section with a time of 25.60. For her success, she was named a coaches’ pick for the meet.

Though Mayfield had success on the track side of the team, sophomore thrower Gaza Odunaiya had success in the field. Odunaiya achieved a lifetime personal record in the hammer throw, placing fifth with a throw of 52.14 meters. Odunaiya was named the field team’s coaches’ pick.

In addition, the 4x400 meter relay squad — Marissa Handel, Rebekah Markovitz, Kaitlyn Logan and Emily Deering — placed second in their race, finishing in 3:57.61, a season personal record.

Before this weekend’s meet, coach Clay Calkins said the team needed to improve upon its indoor season. Track isn’t a sport in which a specific play can affect the meet.

Either an athlete does or doesn’t do well, and that success is based on that athlete’s training. Many athletes achieved personal records, which is something the Bobcats can use for confidence as the season continues.

With a solid showing at High Point, perhaps the Bobcats’ training is translating to competition, even with a short transition to the outdoor season.

The Bobcats will look to continue to improve next weekend as they travel to Raleigh, North Carolina, to compete in the Raleigh Relays.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu