Democrats Discuss: Josh Mandel's ad funding isn't what Ohio deserves in a senator

If you’ve seen Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel’s TV advertisements, you can thank yourself for paying for that. Conveniently, a month before Mandel announced his campaign to challenge incumbent Senator Sherrod Brown’s seat in 2018, he released TV ads featuring himself with Urban Meyer promoting STABLE savings accounts.

The ad released by Mandel’s campaign advocated for investments in savings accounts for Ohioans with disabilities. His office defended that by claiming thousands of people were informed by the public service announcement and signed up because of it. But the cost of seeing the message was $1300 for every person who signed up for the government savings account.

To be fair, Mandel avoided official conflict with election laws by not mentioning directly his senate campaign in the ads. But the timing and cost are very fishy considering his U.S. Senate campaign kicked off shortly after the ads aired. The total cost amounted to $1.7 million for these TV spots.

As state Treasurer, Mandel easily could have used the money to directly help those Ohioans in need. Instead, he couldn’t resist promoting his personal campaign and image at the cost of Ohio taxpayers. The money Mandel used to conveniently promote his name could have been spent more effectively.

If that is any indication of how Mandel would act at the national level, then it is clear he is unfit to serve Ohio as a U.S. Senator. Ohio deserves representatives who are responsible, transparent and selfless when it comes to spending our tax dollars.

Alex Jackson is a freshman studying strategic communications at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Does this sway you from voting for Josh Mandel? Let Alex know by tweeting him @alexjackson716.