Chanda Cuckler jumps a hurdle during the second heat of the women's 100 meter hurdles during the 2016 All-Ohio Track & Field Championship. Cuckler placed third with a time of 14.29. (FILE)

Track and Field: Ohio earns production from field events to have decent showing at Raleigh Relays

In a big-time national meet, Ohio’s field athletes still shined.

Ohio’s biggest strength is its field events, with athletes such as Jordan Porter regularly leading the way.

The Bobcats traveled to Raleigh, North Carolina, this weekend to compete in the Raleigh Relays, but only took 20 athletes. The ones in the field events — hammer throw, javelin and shot put — helped Ohio the most.

The Bobcats’ success in the field began with Emma Ryan, a junior thrower. Ryan was named the coach’s pick for the field side of the team. Ryan had a solid showing in the javelin, as she placed No. 3 in the event with a throw of 43.99 meters, a season personal record.

Along with her success in the javelin, Ryan also succeeded in the hammer throw. She placed No. 9 in the final with a throw of 53.57 meters.

Ryan’s throw was a lifetime personal record that she had bested off a previous throw she made in the same meet, which was for 52.37 meters.

In addition to Ryan placing well in the hammer throw and javelin, Porter placed No. 4 in the shot put. Porter threw for 15.10 meters, a season personal record.

Ohio is consistent in its field events, but it’s solid in the track side of competition, too. The coach’s pick for the track side was Amelia Milton, a senior runner. Milton placed No. 5 in her section of the 800-meter, posting a time of 2:12.11, a lifetime personal record.

The Bobcats also placed well in the 4x400-meter relay, earning a No. 5 place finish in their section. Gracie Huffman, who is coming off a stress fracture, returned to race in the event. Deering, Erin Stewart and Marissa Handel joined her, and the group posted a 3:53.20. That time was a season personal record for the group.

The Bobcats placed No. 9 out of a field of 12 teams in the 4x800-meter relay, with runners Madison Sury, Deering, Kaitlyn Logan and Ellen Isaac posting a time of 9:14.90.

With Ohio having a decent showing at the Raleigh Relays, the team will return home next weekend to compete in the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational. Marshall and the University of Charleston will compete in the meet as well. 

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu