Ohio University men's golf captains Peyton White, left, and Ty Herriott, right, both seniors, pose for a portrait at the Ohio University Driving Range on West State Street on Sept. 21.

Men's Golf: Ohio golfer wins tournament and best individual performance since 2005

Peyton White won the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular on Sunday. He shot one-under-par for the tournament.

Last season at this event, White was disqualified after signing an incorrect scorecard. This year his 215 at the El Campeon Course gave him his first career victory.

“The best feeling was getting off the green at 18 and all my boys were there,” White said. “Everybody was super excited.”

Going into the second day of the tournament, White was in second place.

This gave him an advantage as he had to chase the leader, instead of playing to keep the lead.

“Being one back was exactly where I wanted to be,” White said. “In my opinion, that’s a pretty good spot because you’re more in a chasing mentality as opposed to a conservative mentality.”

One reason that White, a senior, shot well was his score on the Par 5s on the course. He was six-under on those holes, which tied him for the tournament lead.

He also had eight birdies and one eagle.

The Bobcats as a team finished fifth in the tournament. They shot 37-over-par, while TCU won the tournament.

Ohio’s next highest finisher was Ben Sattler, who finished tied for 28th and 12-over-par. Ty Herriott was tied for 34th and 13-over-par.

The Bobcats will next golf April 3 and 4 in the RedHawk Invitational at Chambers Bay, where the 2015 U.S. Open was played.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu