Ohio redshirt senior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches against Northn Illinois during the top of the second inning at the Ohio Softball Field on Friday, February 17, 2017. The game had to be suspended until 10 AM Saturday morning because of the lack of sunlight.

Softball: Ohio looks to win rubber match of Kent State series

Ohio will look to win the rubber match of the mid-week Kent State series Wednesday when the Bobcats host the Golden Flashes at the Ohio Softball Field. 

On April 4, Ohio traveled to Kent State for a double header to start the mid-week series, and Ohio came away with a split of the two games.

Wednesday's game will give the Bobcats the opportunity to win the strange mid-week conference series, and improve their Mid-American Conference standing.

After losing two out of three to Ball State, Ohio enters with a 7-4 record in MAC play, which would be good for the third seed if the MAC tournament started today. Ohio is not happy with the recent struggles, however, and hopes Sunday’s win was exactly the turnaround needed to get back on track in the MAC.

Helping the Bobcats get back to their more familiar winning ways will be Savannah Jo Dorsey. Dorsey walked seven in a game against Toledo on March 25, and since that start, she has only walked 14 and struck out 62 in five appearances.

Danielle Stiene also returned to her winning ways in her start Sunday against Ball State, where she snapped her two game losing skid, pitching a complete game victory and allowing two runs on four hits with six strikeouts.

Backing up Dorsey and Stiene this season has been the consist hitting and power of Mikayla Cooper and Morgan Geno.

Cooper is second on the team in hitting with a .347 average with five home runs and 19 RBIs, and Geno is third on the team in hitting with a .323 average with a team-leading seven homers and 32 RBIs.

First pitch between Ohio and Kent State is scheduled for 2 p.m.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu