Alex Day dashes to first after a pop-up ball during Ohio's game against Rutgers on Friday (BLAKE NISSEN | FOR THE POST)

Softball: Ohio wins series against Western Michigan

Ohio won its weekend series against Western Michigan, improving its record to 5-1 in Mid-American Conference play, but lost in the finale, snapping the team’s 11 game winning streak. 

The Bobcats (24-7) beat the Broncos (13-17) by a score of 9-1 Friday and 6-4 in the first game of the Saturday doubleheader but fell 2-0 in the second game.

The winning streak was not the only streak that was ended in the second Saturday game, as Alex Day’s 23 game on-base streak was also snapped.

Ohio’s offense was paced by the long ball in the series. Mikayla Cooper hit two home runs while Morgan Geno and Casie Hutchinson each homered once.

Cooper and Alexa Holland both got a hit in every game of the series, going 3-for-8 with four RBIs and 4-for-10 with an RBI, respectively.

Ohio’s offense was held in check by Western Michigan’s Holly Vantilburg, who threw three scoreless innings of relief in the first Saturday game before starting the second game of the doubleheader. She threw a complete game shutout to pick up the victory.

Ohio’s pitching did its job against Kelsea Cichocki, the MAC’s leading hitter, holding her to 2-for-9 with one RBI in the series.

In the circle for Ohio, Danielle Stiene started two games, going 1-1 on the weekend over a combined 13 innings, giving up three runs (two earned) and striking out 11.

Savannah Jo Dorsey picked up a win in her only start after throwing a complete game, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits and striking out 14.

The 2-0 loss was both Western Michigan's first win and Ohio's first loss in MAC play this season, and it dropped Ohio to a 5-5 record on the road.

The Bobcats will look to rebound Tuesday when they head to Kent State for a mid-week doubleheader.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu