Derek Boals paints at Passion Works Studio, 20 E. State St., on Feb. 7. (FILE)

New organization to host Passion Works Studio

Creative Foundations was declared the new host company of Passion Works Studio on Friday.

Creative Foundations attended the Disability Awareness Festival held at the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., on March 21 when it was announced that two finalists had been selected to be the new overseer of Passion Works Studio. The other finalist was Integrated Services for Behavioral Health.

ATCO was originally the provider for Passion Works Studio, but the organization is set to dissolve under a federal mandate that bans county disability boards from having "conflicts of interest," according to a previous Post report. Passion Works Studio, founded in 1998, allows people with and without developmental disabilities the opportunity to make artwork, such as its signature passion flowers. The studio helps fund art programs in Athens and provides employment.

Creative Foundations' website states they offer multiple services, with the first being creative "alternative employment" for the individuals they assist.

Creative Foundations believes in independence but provides support to those who need it. It offers supportive living with a few methods of assistance, including personal hygiene, grocery shopping and medical appointments. It also offers one-on-one employment assistance with job development, job coaching and follow-up support.

Creative Foundations is based in Delaware, Ohio, but its website lists other locations in Marysville, Urbana and Mount Vernon. It was founded by David Robins in 2001 to provide support to individuals who have developmental disabilities.

Creative Foundations runs Our Town Studios, which is similar to Passion Works Studio and has locations in Marysville and Delaware. Individuals can sell their artwork to community members and earn an income.

Creative Foundations is funded by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities, county board local funding and the Ohio Home Waiver, according to its website.

@DixAubree

ad144815@ohio.edu