Faith Voinovich, a sophomore studying chemical engineering on the biological track who is part of the Cutler Scholars Program, was selected as the next student trustee at the Leadership Awards Gala in Baker Ballroom on Wednesday.

New student trustee looks to make decisions that benefit OU students

Faith Voinovich will fill one of the student trustee positions on Ohio University’s Board of Trustees for the next academic year.

OU interim President David Descutner announced Voinovich's selection as student trustee at OU’s 34th annual Leadership Gala on Wednesday. Voinovich is expected to serve for two academic years in a non-voting capacity on OU’s Board of Trustees. The job of the student trustee is to bring a “unique perspective” to the board and be responsible for the well-being of the entire OU community, Descutner said.

Voinovich, a sophomore studying chemical engineering, shared her excitement for being chosen for the position and what she plans to do in fulfilling the role.

“I think what I’m looking most forward to is being able to be totally educated on what’s happening on campus and really helping the board to make great decisions that benefit the students, faculty and Ohio University as whole,” Voinovich, who is the granddaughter of former U.S. Sen., Ohio Gov. and OU alumnus George Voinovich, said.

Voinovich will join student trustee Brooke Mauro, who is expected to serve on the board again next year.

Other leadership awards were announced at the gala, and the theme of the evening was legacy. It focused on how the award winners and newly appointed student trustee will carry on and represent the OU legacy.

Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones said because Voinovich is a sophomore, she can be inspired by all the “outstanding senior leaders” who are getting ready to graduate and are being recognized at the event.

“It’s nice that we can do it tonight so that you get inspired by the people who come before you,” Hall-Jones said.

Originally, 22 students applied for the student trustee position. It was narrowed down to eight candidates and then five finalists.

The five finalists moved on to a round of interviews in the governor’s office in Columbus. Gov. John Kasich then appointed Voinovich as student trustee.

PJ Roden, a senior and current student trustee, discussed how he thinks the board’s communication has improved over the past several years. The student trustees have been able to improve the Student Senate’s relationship overall, he said.

He said he knows Voinovich will be able to continue the legacy of communicating what’s going on among OU students to the board members who aren’t on campus.

“She’s going to be able to think of questions that the board doesn’t know," Roden said. "I look for her to explain stuff that’s on campus, relay information and then give her own opinion on the issue and be strong and be respectful, which I have no doubt she will be.”

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu