Coach Jeremy Manley high fives Alex Day after she crosses home plate during Ohio's second game in a double header against Dayton on Saturday (BLAKE NISSEN | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Softball: Seven Bobcats receive MAC honors before start of the MAC tournament

Seven members of the 2017 Mid-American Conference East Division champion Bobcats received MAC honors Tuesday.

Shortstop Mikayla Cooper, pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey and designated player Morgan Geno received All-MAC first team honors while catcher Madison Claytor, third basemen Alex Day and pitcher Danielle Stiene were given All-MAC Second Team honors. Outfielder Alexa Holland earned a spot on the All-Freshman team.

Cooper, who also was named MAC East Player of the Week for her performance in the Buffalo series, led Ohio with a .358 average, 22 walks, 16 doubles, two triples and a .451 on-base percentage. She also hit five home runs and had 25 RBIs.

Dorsey, who also was named to the College Sports Information Directors of America Academic All-District softball team, led Ohio in all pitching categories this season. In 31 appearances, she went 20-6 with a 1.23 ERA and two saves. Dorsey threw 22 complete games with four shutouts, while striking out 298 batters in 187 1/3 innings.

Geno hit .333 this season while leading the team with 10 home runs, 45 RBIs and a .609 slugging percentage.

Claytor hit .259 with eight home runs and 33 RBIs. While playing both right field and catcher this season, she only made one error in 49 games. Behind the plate, Claytor threw out 38 of 44 potential base stealers.

Day hit .355 this season with two home runs and 26 RBIs. She led the team with 59 hits and 40 runs scored. Defensively, the sophomore carried a .957 fielding percentage, starting all 50 games at third after moving to the position this season after spending her freshman season as a middle infielder.

Stiene appeared in 25 games going 13-7 with a 2.49 ERA and one save. She threw 13 complete games including a perfect game against Lafayette on March 18. In 123 2/3 innings this season, Stiene struck out 154 batters.

Holland appeared in 47 games making 35 starts while hitting .268 with 14 RBIs and four stolen bases. Defensively, she carried a .915 fielding percentage and made an outstanding diving catch in a game against Miami that received national attention.

Ohio (36-14) is the No. 2 seed in the MAC tournament, which begins Wednesday. The Bobcats will open the double elimination tournament against No. 7 Akron (26-28). The Zips were the last team in the MAC to defeat the Bobcats when they won 2-1 on April 15 to win the series.

The first pitch between Ohio and Akron is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Wednesday at Firestone Stadium.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu