Council Member Patrick Mcgee speaks at a city council meeting Monday, August 22, 2016. (CAMILLE FINE | FOR THE POST)

City Council: Members pass resolution to fight climate change

Athens City Council members passed a resolution Monday night that will allow the creation of a climate protection plan in response to President Donald Trump’s recent withdrawal from the Paris Agreement.

Council members unanimously passed the resolution. Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, said the new plan would build on Athens’ current sustainability plan.

“We are a community that prides itself on reality and being fact-based,” Fahl said. “It’s not a new thing for us to do a plan like this. We have a sustainability plan, which the climate action plan will be a follow on.”

Councilman Patrick McGee, I-At Large, said he hoped the city would follow-up on the resolution by implementing the climate action plan.

“I support this resolution, but I hope it’s more than words,” McGee said.

The city of Athens is not alone in wanting to fight climate change — Ohio University also expressed its intent to continue fighting climate change last week, according to a previous Post report.

In that report, OU President Duane Nellis said the university would be joining a national coalition against climate change.

"Human impact on climate change is real, and the threat to our planet is undeniable,” Nellis said in a news release last week. “Ohio University chooses to lead by example by working toward a sustainable future in every capacity we can. I am proud to stand with my university colleagues from across the nation as we continue to support climate action to meet the Paris Agreement."

An ordinance allowing the city’s safety service director to enter into a contract with a contractor for the construction of the city’s new pool was also passed.

According to a previous Post report, construction is expected to begin on the project, estimated to cost $6.45 million, by Aug. 25.

Council members also discussed an ordinance that would ban conversion therapy, a practice that aims to change a person’s sexual identity, on minors in Athens.

Fahl said the ordinance is a proactive way to protect citizens of Athens.

“Athens is very inclusive, and this is another way to make sure that all of our citizens in the city are protected and feel safe,” Fahl said.

At last week’s council meeting, delfin bautista, the director of OU’s LGBT Center and a survivor of conversion therapy, spoke about the dangers of the practice.

“Studies and anecdotal therapies have clearly demonstrated that conversion therapy does not work and does harm, period,” bautista, who uses they/them pronouns and the lowercase spelling of their name, said.

Monday’s meeting was council's last meeting until next month while it goes on its summer recess.

@leckronebennett

bl646915@ohio.edu