A screenshot of the current version of Microsoft Paint, which will be phased out by Windows. (provided via Microsoft.com)

Get ready to say goodbye to Microsoft Paint, your favorite childhood memory maker

Microsoft Paint, a childhood favorite and meme creator, will become obsolete this fall.

According to the USA Today, users received the bad news from Microsoft’s website, where Paint has been listed as a "deprecated" app in the Fall Creators Update, which means it will no longer be developed and will soon be phased out.

First debuted in 1985's Windows 1.0, Paint has been featured in every version of Microsoft as a program where users can draw, color and edit pictures with cursor-operated tools.

Throughout the last three decades, the program has come a long way.

Its most recent upgrade occurred during the Windows 7 update, in which new features were added, such as allowing up to three colors to be selected and a new paintbrush tool with multiple brushes.

Outlook Express, among other old-school Windows programs, is also being removed, as Microsoft Outlook has taken its place in recent years.

Users may find an alternative to Paint with April's Creators Update, during which Paint 3D was introduced, which can be used to create 3D images alongside 2D images. The program is still in the developmental stage.

Users should not be too worried, as Paint won't be removed from Windows entirely — yet — but The Huffington Post reports that Microsoft might remove the program in its future releases.

Since the announcement this morning, some Paint enthusiasts have taken to social media express their emotions and reminisce about the countless mouse-made masterpieces they created as a child. 

tj369915@ohio.edu

@TF_Johnston