Cinema and Syntax: Box office numbers are contrary to the quality of movies

Over the summer, I saw a seven new movies. But I didn’t watch them snuggled up in my bed wearing a ratty t-shirt and sweatpants. I got in my car, drove to the nearest theater, paid for a ticket and sat in a cold building just to see the latest flick — and numbers suggest I’m in the minority.

The summer box office starts the last week of May and officially ends Labor Day weekend. Sales for the summer are down more than 13 percent from last year, and it appears it will be the worst box office revenue since 2006 as it won’t cross the $4 billion mark.

Some cinephiles are baffled as to why the movie ticket sales are on a downward slope into an inescapable abyss.

There are critics who believe summer 2017 didn’t have enough movies to carry the box office, but I disagree.

This summer gave way to some great movies. Sure, it was dominated by sequels and reboots — which isn’t a new phenomenon — but original movies like Dunkirk and Baby Driver were sprinkled in to stand out amongst the trite films.

And who can forget the highest-grossing film of the summer, Wonder Woman? Wonder Woman wasn’t just a regular superhero movie. It became the biggest live-action film directed by a woman in history, empowering women everywhere.

The top ten movies of summer 2017 are more consistent than those of the previous summer. Movies that received some of the worst reviews in 2016, like Suicide Squad, forced their way into the top ten because people went to the theater to see how bad they were, whereas the top ten movies of this summer were some of the most well-reviewed movies of the year so far.

Studios are producing films that should drive ticket sales, but they're not reaping the rewards. People are unwilling to spend money at an overpriced theater when they can wait a few months to watch it digitally or even pirate it online shortly after its release.

But people are missing out on the experience of going to see a film on the big screen with quality sound and clear images. For those who don’t want to spend much money, there are reasonably-priced theaters — people just have to take the time to do the research.

If you haven’t been to a theater in a while, you’re missing out on a worthwhile experience. Whether you go alone or with friends, seeing a movie on the big screen should be everyone’s first choice of cinematic entertainment.

Georgia Davis is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Tell Georgia your favorite summer movie of 2017 by tweeting her at @georgiadee35.