Quite Contrary: Disco isn’t dead. It just went soul-searching.

Times change, things change, people change, milk expires. You know how it all goes.

One of the most enjoyable aspects of life is that it’s fluid. Though change can prove to be intimidating, change has usually proved to be a good thing. Usually.

That has typically proved true within the realm of disco. For the longest time we've been hearing “disco is dead” coupled with some lame “Staying Alive” reference.

Well, when you take a step back and look at what has happened to disco, it isn’t dead. In fact, it’s anything but. Disco just happened to go on a study abroad trip for a while and came back with a different perspective on, you know, life.

“September” by Earth, Wind & Fire is arguably one of the most recognized disco songs. I look forward to the 21st night of September every year just so I can feel as if I am reenacting Saturday Night Fever by boogieing the night away with John Travolta. And even if you aren’t a fan of disco, “September” is a song that you can get lost in the moment to and just dance your worries away. It’s classic disco, perfected.

So where has disco traveled to since that 1971 classic? Well, one of the most notable stars who dabbles in disco is Carly Rae Jepsen. Sure, you think only of her classic “Call Me Maybe” (a banger if there ever were one), but when you listen to Jepsen’s latest album, Emotion, you probably won’t even think about how it’s actually a disco album. Disco was just the pop music of the ‘70s. The likes of Jepsen’s “I Really Like You” ooze that of disco feel. The upbeat chorus, easy-to-remember lyrics and heavy synth are reminiscent of any song you’d think John Travolta would dance to.

Next time you’re driving along in your car and a pop song comes on, just think about whether it really is pop. Because it is, but it most certainly has been influenced from its disco predecessors. Disco isn’t dead; it’s just changed for the better (maybe).

Chuck Greenlee is a junior studying communications studies at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The PostDo you think disco is dead? Let Chuck know by tweeting him @chuck_greenlee.