With the weather getting to that perfect temperature where it’s not too hot and not too cold, it’s the perfect time to go outside and enjoy a picnic. Here’s a list of the eight prime picnic spots around Athens. Be sure to pop a squat and munch on some delicious food while enjoying the weather.
1. College Green — This one is a given. There is no more quintessential college feeling than hanging out on College Green on a nice day. There’s plenty of space to lay out a blanket and have a picnic. It also has plenty of shade because of all of the trees, so don't worry about getting a sunburn.
2. The pond at the bottom of Baker Center — If you enjoy viewing nature, the pond at the bottom of Baker Center is the perfect place for you. It always has deer and frogs leaping around, so it’s a good place to enjoy some nature.
3. Radar Hill — Although it is a bit of a hike, Radar Hill has some amazing views. It's definitely worth the hike to be able to see campus, chill and chow down. Just head up to The Ridges and keep on walking; it's a bit of a hike.
4. Scripps Amphitheater — Another must stop picnic place is Scripps Amphitheater. It is a good place to go if you want to catch some sun rays. Also, it is arguably one of the prettiest spots on campus when the leaves start to change in Autumn.
5. Bong Hill — Bong Hill is another great place to picnic, especially at sunset if you are more of a night owl. It has a perfect view over campus to watch the sun go down. To get there, find a way across the Hocking River and you really can't miss it. An added benefit to having a picnic on Bong Hill is that you will be able to take some great Instagram-worthy pictures of the sunset.
6. Strouds Run State Park — Making the trek to Strouds Run to have a picnic is worth it for sure. There’s some beautiful nature there and swimming and hiking options if you get bored with your picnic. It’s a nice place to go if you’d rather escape a bit more into nature than stay within campus.
7. The Ridges — If you are daring enough and not spooked from the creepy legends, the Ridges is a great place to have a picnic. The buildings are still pretty along with the trees and plants around it. It is also a very pretty walk up to it and has some good views of campus.
8. Off the Hockhocking Adena bikeway — The Hockhocking Adena bikeway, otherwise known as the bike path, has some great picnic spots for miles along the river. There are plenty of spots to choose from all along the Hocking River and it’ll make you actually want to ride that bike you probably shouldn’t have brought to college.