Stephen Colbert hosted the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards on CBS. (Photo via @colbertlateshow Instagram)

12 unforgettable moments from the 69th Primetime Emmy Awards

Another day, another award show.

The biggest night for television took place at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles on Sunday night. The 69th Primetime Emmy Awards opened with host Stephen Colbert, Anthony Anderson and Allison Janney dancing along to a musical-theater-style number which pushed him from his dressing room to the main stage. Here are the top 12 moments from the show: 

1.) Colbert, Sean Spicer and more poked fun at President Donald Trump 

It’s no surprise that President Donald Trump has been a hot topic the last year during some of the biggest award shows. And the Emmys were no different.

Within the first few minutes of of the opening number, Colbert and fellow stars poked fun at the president with jokes about global warming, Nazis and Russia. Following his amusing performance, Colbert commended the more than 400 hours of new television that premiered this year, and added that no one has time to watch that much television — except the president. A clip from one of the 2016 presidential debates was aired which showed then-candidate Trump speaking about the Emmy’s being rigged because The Celebrity Apprentice lost three years in a row.

Shortly after, former press secretary Sean Spicer rolled his podium on stage and said, “This will be the largest audience to witness the Emmys, period, both in person and around the world.” 

2.) Kate McKinnon wins Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series 

Saturday Night Live star Kate McKinnon won the Primetime Emmy award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for the second year in a row. During her speech, an emotional McKinnon gave thanks to Hillary Clinton for her “grace and grit.”

3.) Donald Glover won Directing Comedy Series 

Donald Glover took home the win for Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series making him the first black director to win in this category. 

4.) Alec Baldwin wins Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series 

Alongside his co-star Kate McKinnon, Alec Baldwin took home the win for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for his portrayal of Trump. As he grabbed his award, Baldwin said, “At long last, Mr. President, here is your Emmy.” 

5.) 9 to 5 cast takes a jab at Trump while presenting award for Supporting Actor in a Limited Series 

If your heart didn’t melt when seeing Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda reunited on the Emmys stage, then something might be seriously wrong with you.

At the beginning of their speech, Fonda spoke about how her cast members refused to be controlled by a “sexist egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot” during the 1980 film ― and in 2017, “we still refuse,” Tomlin added. Another slam at the leader of the free world. 

6.) Ann Dowd wins Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series 

The Emmy award went to Ann Dowd for her work in The Handmaid’s Tale. She was emotional, surprised and self-effacing all at once. 

7.) Master of None wins Writing for a Comedy Series 

Aziz Ansari and Lena Waithe took home the Emmy for their work on the Thanksgiving episode of Master of None. Waithe gave a shout out to her LGBT family, along with a special thanks to everyone who embraced to a “little Indian boy from South Carolina and a little queer black girl from the South Side of Chicago.”

8.) In Memoriam performance by Christopher Jackson 

If you’re fan of the hottest show on Broadway, then the In Memoriam singer will look quite familiar to you. After being introduced by the lovely Viola Davis, Hamilton star Christopher Jackson serenades the audience with a soothing performance of Stevie Wonder’s “As”. 

9.) Veep wins Best Comedy Series; The Handmaid’s Tale won Best Drama Series 

The cast of Veep won Best Comedy Series for the third year in a row, while the dystopian The Handmaid’s Tale beat out Westworld, The Crown and many more popular shows for Best Drama Series. 

10.) Nicole Kidman wins Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie 

Big Little Lies star Nicole Kidman beat out Reese Witherspoon, Susan Sarandon, Carrie Coon and more, taking home the win in this prestige category. 

11.) Sterling Brown wins Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series 

Sterling Brown took home the Emmy for his work as Randall Pearson in the NBC series This Is Us. 

12.) Elisabeth Moss wins Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Elisabeth Moss brought home the Emmy award for her work as Offred/June in the Hulu series The Handmaid’s Tale.

The 69th Primetime Emmy Awards had all of the celebrities, social commentary and trophies that make for a solid awards show. 

@jprintup1

jp583215@ohio.edu