Ohio's Claire Buckey sends the ball up the field in the Bobcats' game against Ohio State on Sept. 17. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Ohio ends losing streak

Correction appended.

The losing streak is over for Ohio after eight games and 28 days.

It was the most goals scored in one weekend since the first weekend of the year helped Ohio (2-8, 0-2 Mid-American Conference) pick up its second win of the season Sunday over Davidson 2-1 after dropping Friday’s MAC game to Appalachian State 3-2.  

Davidson

Both of Ohio’s wins have one thing in common — Kendall Ballard leading the team in goals. Davidson (0-8, 0-2 Atlantic 10 Conference) couldn't contain Ballard on Sunday as she picked up a pair of goals. 

Falling behind in the first half has occurred to Ohio often this year, and it was no different Sunday, as Davidson took the lead in the 24th minute with a goal by Sydney McKenna. 

Ten minutes later, Ohio tied the game after a foul was called on Davidson. Ballard knocked in her second penalty stroke and sixth goal of the season. 

The first lead since the opening weekend for Ohio was accomplished in the 46th minute, off a penalty corner from Brittany Keen. Ballard put the shot past Davidson’s goalie for her second goal of the game. 

Ohio only had four shots on goal but was able to capitalize on the opportunities it had, which is something coach Neil Macmillan had been focusing on in the past couple of weeks. 

Appalachian State

Two games into MAC play, Ohio is still searching for its first win of its conference season. Ohio fell 3-2 to Appalachian State (3-6, 1-2 MAC) on Friday night.

It took only 71 seconds for Appalachian State’s top scorer, Taylor Cimbalist, to score her fifth goal of the season off a penalty corner.

Ohio responded quickly, as Karynne Baker scored her third goal of the season off an assist from Kennedy Farr in the sixth minute. The game slowed down after that — neither team was able to break through until the final minute of the first half, when Cimbalist scored her second goal of the game and put the Mountaineers back in the lead. 

Meghan Smart scored the eventual game-winning goal in the 43rd minute to extend the lead to 3-1. Ohio responded three minutes later with Emma Spinetto’s second career goal off an assist from Ballard. 

Despite outshooting Appalachian State 13-7, Ohio could not convert on its opportunities. Only five of its 13 shots were on goal compared to six of seven for Appalachian State. 

Ohio has its first weekend with only one opponent to play upcoming as it travels to Mount Pleasant, Michigan, to take on Central Michigan (0-9, 0-1 MAC) on Saturday at 1 p.m.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misspelled Neil Macmillan's name. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.