Illona Hartman covers Jamee Albright during Ohio's game against Virginia Commonwealth University on September 10, 2017. The Bobcats lost 1-2 (Blake Nissen | Photo Editor)

Field Hockey: Ohio far from peak performance as MAC play begins this week

The perfect scenario for Ohio would show the offense clicking on all cylinders, the defense thwarting the opponents’ attacks. Right now, that's not true. 

The offense is struggling to create opportunities and attempt shots on goal. The defense is attempting to cope with the constant attack from opponents. Mid-American Conference games begin this Friday for Ohio (1-5) as it will host Miami.

Last year, Ohio missed the conference tournament for the first time since 1989 after a three-way tiebreaker went in favor of the other two teams. 

In its last five games, Ohio has only scored three goals and as a result the team is on a five-game losing streak. That's even with the defense standing tall against tough offenses. Kendall Ballard and Karynne Baker have combined for seven of Ohio’s nine goals this season and the only goals during the losing streak. 

There is a new team in the MAC this year, as Appalachian State (2-4) joins the conference after Missouri State left. 

The usual suspects — Kent State (2-5) and Miami (2-4) — are predicted to finish first and second, respectively, with no reason to doubt their caliber as they have spent the non-conference portion playing ranked opponents. 

Longwood (5-1), Ball State (3-3) will likely be fighting to decide which two make the tournament.

As Friday is against such a big rival like Miami, the players will be ready to avoid a repeat of last year’s •6-0 loss in Oxford.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu