Ohio redshirt junior offensive lineman Durrell Wood (#57) and redshirt junior linebacker Quentin Poling (#32) raise their helmets during Alma Mater Ohio after Western Michigan beat the Bobcats 29-23 in the Marathon MAC Championship game at Ford Field in Detroit, Michigan. Ohio tested the #17 ranked team in the country, but a late interception sealed the game for WMU. (Carl Fonticella | File)

Football: Predictions for the Bobcats' 2017 season

Ahead of the first game of the season on Saturday, our football beat writers, Andrew Gillis, Jordan Horrobin and Cameron Fields discuss their season predictions. Below are what they expect from the Bobcats.

What to expect from the offense:

Jordan Horrobin: As it has for the most part in recent years, the offense will be led by a two-headed quarterback situation, as redshirt sophomore Quinton Maxwell and sophomore transfer Nathan Rourke are both lined up for opportunities on the field. It’s Maxwell’s spot to lose for the time being, and the non-conference schedule — particularly Ohio’s road game against Purdue — should be enough to gauge whether or not it’s his spot to keep. 

As long as A.J. Ouellette and Dorian Brown stay healthy — which was not the case last season —the Bobcats will have a dependable running game. Losing Elijah Ball to a torn ACL is a significant blow to a receiving corps that needs anybody and everybody to fill the void of Sebastian Smith and Jordan Reid, both of whom graduated.

Cameron Fields: Ohio left points on the field last season and struggled at times to score touchdowns when they were most needed. Whether the Bobcats can improve on offense will be a top storyline again this season.

The Bobcats scored 26.3 points per game last season, good for No. 8 in the Mid-American Conference. With Maxwell as the starter, the Bobcats are primed to have continuity. Maxwell earned starting time last season after former Ohio quarterback Greg Windham’s performance dwindled. If Maxwell can manage the offense well — making sure the unit’s playmakers like Papi White and Ouellette get the ball — the offense should be solid this year. 

Andrew Gillis: The offense will be going under center for the first time in years. I’m interested to see how that plays out. I’m expecting that it’ll work, because Ouellette will get a full head of steam headed toward the line. So will Brown.

The passing game could still be a question mark with Ball out for the season, but I think the offense has to give the ball to White as much as humanly possible. Anything less than 10 touches a game for White should be viewed as a negative. He can really break this offense wide open.

The offensive line might just be the best unit on the team, too, with Jake Pruehs and Joe Lowery headlining a veteran unit. I expect big things out of the front five this year.

What to expect from the defense:

JH: The strength of the defense starts with the linebackers, led by redshirt seniors Quentin Poling (named first-team all conference in 2016) and Chad Moore. The secondary has its fair share of experience, too, with three returning starters (including redshirt sophomore Javon Hagan, who was the MAC Freshman of the Year last season). 

The biggest question mark appears to be the defensive line, which graduated four players who played in all 14 games last year. If possible, the Bobcats will emphasize a defensive line rotation to give younger players an opportunity and keep the starters fresh. It may take a few games, however, to see just how many players are capable of cycling in and out regularly.

CF: The Bobcats’ defense had a special year last season, with its defensive front leading the unit to becoming one of the top rush defenses in the country. 

This season will be different, but the drop-off in production shouldn’t be stark. Despite the defensive line losing three of its starters — Tarell Basham, Kurt Laseak and Casey Sayles — the unit still has players who earned significant minutes last season. Cleon Aloese, Kevin Robbins, Trent Smart and Tony Porter all  essentially played starters' minutes, even though they mostly composed the second string.

The starting linebackers will consist of Poling, Moore and Evan Croutch. Croutch will make his first career start Saturday against Hampton, and Poling and Moore are returning starters. This unit should be solid, and it should help bolster the defensive line well. 

The secondary will consist of cornerbacks Bradd Ellis and Jalen Fox as well as safeties Hagan and Kylan Nelson. Ellis and Fox both started in three games last season, and Hagan and Nelson are returning starters. Though the secondary is still youthful — Ellis is the only senior — it should still be able to produce for the defense. 

AG: Cam mostly covered it. I don’t think this defense will take as big of a step back as some might think. The defensive line won’t be as good, but I think the linebackers will do just fine and the secondary will be much improved. Nelson might be the key to Ohio’s secondary, too, with defenses focused on Hagan.

Breakout player:

JH: Cameron Odom (redshirt freshman, wide receiver). The silver lining of Ball’s injury is that it gives other players a chance for more snaps, and Odom is primed to be perhaps the biggest beneficiary. Spending 2016 on the sidelines watching Smith, Reid and others perform, Odom had the chance to learn the playbook and quash a hand injury from high school. He was still getting over a stress fracture in his lower back as fall camp began, but now he’s traded out his red no-contact jersey and is ready to make an impact in games.

CF: Jamal Hudson (freshman, cornerback): With the cornerbacks looking for depth, Hudson has a chance to earn playing time this season. Hudson went to Miami Central High School, and he’s listed as a second string cornerback behind Jalen Fox. At 5-foot-11-inches and 192 pounds, Hudson has the potential to cover well. Hagan said at Bobcat Media Day earlier in the month that Hudson has potential. Ohio has broken Hudson into its system, so he will have a chance to produce. 

AG: Evan Croutch (redshirt junior, linebacker): This guy might as well be known as Blair Brown’s replacement. I still think that’s going to be unfair, because I think he’s going to have a fantastic year. Poling and Moore will draw most of the attention, and I think Croutch will be able to clean up the dirty work after that. Moore and Poling have more experience, but I think Croutch’s aggressive style will fit nicely for the defense. I’ll say that Croutch gets 80 tackles this year. 

Hot take:

JH: The new video board at Peden Stadium will be an underwhelming addition to fans’ game day experience.

CF: The Bobcats will begin the season 4-1, losing to Eastern Michigan on the road.

AG: Beer sales keep students through most of the game, as “Beer is cheaper at the bars!” becomes the new “We’ll watch the game at the bars!”

Season prediction:

JH: Obviously the Halloween night game against Miami is enormous. Everybody knows that. I think if the Bobcats win that game, they win the MAC. If they lose, it’ll cost them a spot in the MAC Championship Game. Final record: 10-3 (with a bowl win).

CF: The biggest game of the season will be when the Bobcats play Toledo at home Nov. 8. Toledo is projected to win the MAC this year, but the Bobcats defeated the Rockets on the road last season, the first time they won at the Glass Bowl since 1967. If the Bobcats win, they’ll show they’re a team to be trifled with. Final record: 10-4 (with a bowl win and a loss in the MAC Championship Game).

AG: The Bobcats have a tougher schedule than people think. On the road against Purdue, Eastern and UMass in September, they’ll be forced to find out what kind of team they are quickly. I think they’ll lose to Miami and Toledo at home and miss out on the MAC Championship Game, but they’ll still be a good team with an excellent future. Final record: 9-4 (with a bowl win).