Opinion Editor Chuck Greenlee advises people to stay away from Four Lokos. (Photo via Flickr Creative Commons user Paul Sableman)

Four Loko ruined my weekend and my life

Pain, confusion and cottonmouth.

Those are the typical things someone feels the morning after a crazy night out. There is, however, a drink out there people who hate their well-being drink: Four Loko. 

You may recall the legal issues this drink has had in the past. This toxic sludge was created at Ohio State University by a group of people I can only assume are part of some group that has been paid to eliminate humanity through some messed up Darwinism-esque plot, but I digress. 

For those of you who are wise enough to stray away from Lokos, they are an alcohol-infused energy drink abomination and should absolutely be banned by the Environmental Protection Agency because I have a really weird hunch that these aren't environmentally friendly. 

Anyway, I decided to go with the strawberry lemonade flavor. “This can’t be that awful,” I foolishly said to myself. 

I guess now is an important time to note that I have never claimed to be a smart person. In fact, I’m kind of an idiot. 

I get to the party, Loko in hand. I crack it open and take one large gulp of what I expect to be a bad decision, but I am young and it’s OK to make mistakes. Except this one. This was a bad, bad mistake that I am still paying for two days later. 

The medicine-like taste of the ‘strawberry lemonade’ burned as it went down. I shuddered, but I’m no quitter. Within an hour the rest of the can had made its way down my esophagus. I then sprinted up a hill back to my house. I don’t know why, but I did. 

I woke up in so much pain the next morning, I had thought I was having sleep paralysis. I wasn’t. I had put my body through the crucible of Four Loko for the first — and last — time ever, and I may never be the same. 

@chuck_greenlee

cg153314@ohio.edu