Mr. Taco was an authentic Mexican restaurant that used to serve up dishes at 122 W Union St. before it closed.

Here's what happened to 7 of your favorite Athens food spots

Regularly going to the same restaurant can feel like coming home.  

You walk into a room of familiar faces and walk out happy and full. When that home moves or closes, it can be devastating. 

Here are some Athens establishments that have closed their doors and left patrons wanting more: 

Mr. Taco*

For a wonderful few months during spring semester of 2016, Mr. Taco provided Athens with tasty and authentic Mexican tacos. Many Ohio University students were sad to see it  closed during the summer come Fall Semester. The building, 122 W Union St., now holds Doctor Pizza. 

Habibi’s Restaurant

For fans of Mediterranean food, Habibi’s was also a hard loss. The current tenant has similar culinary roots, though. The restaurant was located at 19 S. Court St., where hungry locals will now find Opa Greek Cuisine. 

Rio Grande 

This Mexican joint provided cheap margaritas to Athens for more a decade but was not as successful in paying their taxes. They owed the Internal Revenue Service more than $20,000 and closed their doors for good in 2013, according to a previous Post report. Rio’s, 122 W. Union St., was at the same location as Mr. Taco and now Doctor Pizza. 

Kiser's on Court

Although you can still find Kiser’s Barbeque in the Athens Mall on East State Street, their 42 S. Court St. closed in January 2016. This closure was not good news for some, as they liked their “barbeque bowls” conveniently close to campus. You can now find Franco’s Pizza in its place. 

Towne House Restaurant 

Only OU alumni and Athens residents who were around town before the 80s will remember this city staple. For more than 30 years, students and residents frequented the Towne House Restaurant, which used to sit at what is now Jackie O’s Public House and BrewPub, 22 W Union St., according to a previous Post article. The restaurant closed its doors in the 80s, but there past patrons still remember their tasty pies. 

Taco Bell on Court

When it come to Mexican chain restaurants there are two types of people: Chipotle people and Taco Bell people. Those Taco Bell people may be disappointed to hear the location Chipotle, 41 S Court St., currently inhabits was once a Taco Bell, which closed in 2007, according to a previous Post report. Now you have to go to 978 East State St. to get a “Crunchwrap Supreme.” 

W.G. Grinders

You can still get a sandwich from many places on Court, but there was only one place in Athens you could get a “grinder.” W.G. Grinders, a regional chain around Ohio and Michigan serving up Italian grinders, closed their Athens location in 2016. It’s previous home at 120 W. Union St. sits vacant after a brief stint as a German-style bier halle

@M_PECKable

mp172114@ohio.edu