Then-presidential candidate Donald Trump speaks to a crowd during a rally in Cincinnati on Oct. 13. (FILE)

Hocking College to test medical marijuana; Trump administration announces DACA end

Correction appended.

The second week of the semester came and went quickly after a three-day weekend. Some of the biggest headlines this week included the Trump administration’s end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and Hocking College’s announcement of its plans to test medical marijuana. Here’s a look back at the top stories of the week:

Hocking College announced plans to •test medical marijuana

Hocking College announced its plans Tuesday afternoon to become licensed to test medical marijuana. The college will also launch a new laboratory sciences program next fall. It will offer cannabis lab technology as a major. 

Betty Young, the college’s president, said the program will be the first of its kind in the country. 

“The research and academic potential of serving as the lab testing site will support the kind of hands-on, high-tech training that is the hallmark of Hocking College,” Young said in a news release. 

Trump administration announces end of DACA, gives Congress time to act

President Donald Trump’s administration announced Tuesday that it will be ending DACA, a program that protects young, undocumented immigrants. 

Ohio University President Duane Nellis released a statement just hours after the announcement, saying he thinks the end of DACA “threatens to undermine Ohio University’s commitment to fair treatment and inclusivity for all of our students.” He plans to take action by meeting with lawmakers in Washington, D.C.

"Tomorrow I will go to Capitol Hill to advocate for all our students and urge our Congressional representatives, face-to-face to take action to protect the DREAMers immediately,” he said in the statement Tuesday. “We will continue to monitor these national discussions and will keep the University community informed of important developments as they unfold.”

OU Spokeswoman Carly Leatherwood said the university believes the number of undocumented students at OU is “relatively low.”

Athens Women’s Recovery Center set to open in January

An Athens' women’s recovery center will open at the beginning of 2018 after a longtime effort by local women in addiction recovery.

Jayne Darling, the president of the Women in Recovery Board, said as a woman recovering from addiction, she recognized the need for transitional housing. In Athens, there is no transitional housing specifically for women, and they face different challenges than men. 

“Most of them have children and have lost their children to children services,” Darling said. “Most of the fathers are not in the picture. … They have a battle in front of them to try to get their kids back, which is something men don’t have. … It’s a little bit tougher for women.”

After a year and a half of work, the center's goal is to open by Jan. 1.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this report misstated that the new center would be the first women's recovery center in Athens. The article has been updated to reflect the most accurate information.