iOS 11 transforms iPhones and iPads for users. (Photo via Wikimedia Commons user www.apple.com)

iOS 11 has finally arrived, aimed more at iPad users

Almost every time an iOS upgrade is available, it is mostly directed at improving the experience for iPhone users. However, with iOS 11, iPads are inching closer to replacing PCS and laptops rather than just being extra large iPhones. 

Upon downloading the new update, users can notice changes to the Control Center and a redesigned App Store.

The Control Center can be customized depending on things the user does the most, such as Notes, Low Power Mode or an alarm button for when you swipe up and need quick access to specific apps.

Even the App Store has become a little handier to help the discovery of new apps and games by having a new “Today” tab, that will have apps and games that professionals recommend for download. 

Typing with the keyboard is becoming simpler, too. Letters, numbers, symbols and punctuation marks are now all on the same keyboard so users do not have to switch back-and-forth.

Apple is even trying to compete with Venmo, a money sharing app. They have now brought Apple Pay to Messages, so money can be sent in a text conversation.

Soon screenshots will be a thing of the past as another new feature is the ability to record your iPhone or iPad’s screen.

Also, users can access their files with a new Files app which also crosses over to other iOS devices, the iCloud Drive and third-party services like Dropbox.

But for the iPad, it is completely different. The biggest change made is the addition of the new dock where a user can open and manage their apps. No matter what app you have open or what you are doing at the moment, just swipe up and you can access the dock.

Multitasking has also become a lot easier with this new update. Now, two apps can be open at the same time, side by side.

Another plus to this upgrade is that Apple is allowing older generations dating back to the iPhone 5S and also the sixth-generation iPod too, according to Mashable.

Users have jumped to Twitter to reminisce about the past iOS updates.

Or people complaining that the new update took up more than what was expected of their storage space.

@TF_Johnston

tj369915@ohio.edu