It’s National Video Games Day; Ohio hockey forward plays in Ball Hockey World Championship

Today is Tuesday, Sept. 12, 2017. Here’s what you need to know today:

News from The Post:

Two Republican representatives have introduced an “Ohio Free Speech Act,” which aims to protect controversial speech on college campuses. (The Post)

Ohio University student Evan Leonard spent 5 1/2 months hiking the nearly 2,200-mile Appalachian Trail. (The Post)

Ohio hockey player Cody Black represented the United States in the 2017 Ball Hockey World Championship. (The Post)

Good morning,

Stock up on Mountain Dew and Doritos, because today is National Video Games Day. If you don’t feel like dusting off your original PlayStation, here are four modern classics that have been remastered for current consoles.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy (PlayStation 4)

Games from 20 years ago don't always hold up over time, but the simple-yet-challenging style that made the Crash Bandicoot series a pioneer of platforming games still does. All three original Crash games — Crash Bandicoot, Cortex Strikes Back and Warped — are bundled in this remaster that's just as fun as it was on the original PlayStation.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One)

Just as the Crash series was a hallmark of the original PlayStation, Halo became synonymous with the Xbox. The futuristic shooter laid the groundwork for the modern multiplayer shooter, and the remastered graphics in The Master Chief Collection have brought back the delight that comes from slaying aliens with an energy sword.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One)

For years, Call of Duty was set in World War II — but in 2007, Modern Warfare changed that, and, for almost the entire next decade, most major first-person shooters were set in modern or near-future times. Modern Warfare may not have reshaped the technical or gameplay aspects of shooters, but it did shape the future of the genre. Oh, and it's still perhaps the most enjoyable Call of Duty game ever.

WipEout Omega Collection (PlayStation 4 and •Xbox One)

Futuristic racing series WipEout always had some pretty gorgeous graphics, and the 4K graphics in the Omega Collection are just gorgeous. Plus, WipEout has a fantastic ambiance, blending techno music with its sleek graphics to create the world of the future.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Athens Weather

Cloudy and windy with a 70 percent chance of morning showers. High of 74 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times

None to report, but Ohio's field hockey team opens MAC play this week.

You might also want to know…

At least 4 people have died and 6.7 million more are without power after Hurricane Irma made landfall in Florida late Sunday night. (The New York Times)

According to one critic, 2017's fall TV lineup is the worst in years. (Vox)

California has banned drones from delivering marijuana. (The Verge)

@alexmccann21

am622914@ohio.edu