Latitude 39 and Front Room Coffeehouse get $1 million in remodels

Over the summer, Latitude 39 and Front Room Coffeehouse received $1 million in renovations to improve looks and the traffic flow of both venues.

Latitude 39 was changed from a fine dining restaurant to an English pub-style eatery. The changes allow for a more casual dining experience for students, and include a pub-style menu and a selection of local craft beer. A bar was added along with more community tables and booths. 

Front Room received new floors, counters and furniture. Power strips and USB plug-ins were added on new tables and walls as well. Soft seating was also added to the outdoor patio. Wall decor featured in Front Room includes students’ art and photos.

“The Front Room Coffeehouse is a well-loved and well-used venue,” Ohio University spokesman Jim Sabin said in an email. “The furniture and flooring needed updates as they were both very worn.”

Both venues were also remodeled to address traffic flow issues.

“The lines are much better,” Colleen Goetz, a sophomore studying accounting, said. “I don’t have to be in a crowd of people to get food.”

Front Room moved the front outside entrance toward the main lobby. Latitude 39 moved its entrance away from the restrooms and extended it to the Bobcat Lounge. 

Alex Holbert, a sophomore studying pre-medicine on the biology track, did not think the updates to both locations were necessary. 

“I don’t think it needed it,” Holbert said. “It’s very nice, but it was very nice before.”

Sabin said the renovations of Latitude 39 and Front Room were a part of the Culinary Services’ capital plan, which continues to maintain the upkeep of various Culinary Service locations on campus.

Front Room serves Starbucks and is open every day. Latitude 39 is open Monday through Saturday. Students can use Bobcat Cash and flex points at both locations. 

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu