Letter to the Editor: Freedom of speech issue

Students, beware. If you head to the Convo this winter to scream yourself hoarse — wait, never mind, don't bother. The argument could be made you're violating Ohio University's incomprehensible decision to ban protests inside university buildings. And if you think booing the opposition isn't a form of protest, think again. It's the oldest form of protest there is.

The powers that be, if they read this, likely will say the new policy doesn't intend to include boisterous behavior at athletic events. But last I checked, the Convo and Peden Stadium are, in fact, on the OU campus. Signs displaying anti-opponent messages conceivably could be confiscated as well. Cheer for the home team, but don't tease the refs and don't heckle Miami. Shame, shame, young Bobcats.

OU has a long history of students voicing their opinions in various forms. And yes, sometimes those protests have turned ugly. There always are those who go beyond what the First Amendment allows. But a college campus is a place where students should be encouraged to express themselves and stand up for their beliefs. Not a place where they can't stage a sit-in. One only can hope the state lawmakers currently working to protect free speech on Ohio campuses will have the support they need to protect your rights and pass a law doing so.

I'm a very proud OU alum. I worked on The Post staff with a group of determined, dedicated and dang quality journalists who were taught by the absolute best that Scripps had to offer. I will continue to love and support this great university, but I will not be silent on this issue. And I encourage students to speak up — just don't do it inside a university-owned building. 

Hmmm, the College Green is looking pretty inviting, isn't it?

Vincent P. Cappiello Jr. graduated from Ohio University in 1988.