Today is National Voter Registration Day. (Photo via filamsvote Instagram)

National Voter Registration Day is today and you should spend it with Pumpkin the cat

Tuesday is a day to get really hyped about democracy! It’s National Voter Registration day, and taking part in the holiday is part of your civic duty. 

National Voter Registration day began in 2012 and is always held on the fourth Tuesday of September. 

“Every year millions of Americans find themselves unable to vote because they miss a registration deadline, don’t update their registration, or aren’t sure how to register,” the website says. “National Voter Registration Day wants to make sure everyone has the opportunity to vote. On Tuesday, Sept. 26, 2017 volunteers and organizations from all over the country will ‘hit the streets’ in a single day of coordinated field, technology and media efforts.“

During previous elections, college-aged voters have been less likely to cast a vote than their grandparents, parents and even their older siblings, according to a previous Post report.

Athens has been no exception to that trend. During the last presidential election in 2012, about 28,000 of the city’s roughly 47,900 registered voters went to the polls. Of those votes, 5,121 were cast at Baker Center, which was the primary polling place for those living in residence halls in 2012, according to data from the Athens County Board of Elections.

You can help fight that trend by going to visit Pumpkin the Athens Board of Elections cat.

The Board of Elections is located at 15 S. Court St., so there’s really no reason not to register. You can also register to vote on the internet as well right here.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@Ohio.edu