Brittnee Siemon performs at the Ohio University’s School of Music event Sacred Harp: An evening of Appalachian Songs and Stories, Faculty Recital on September 28, 2017. (Meagan Hall | Photo Editor)

Ohio University alumni and professors showcase talent in faculty recital

As music-lovers of all ages crowded into the School of Music’s recital hall on Thursday night, they patiently awaited the awe-inspiring performance of five musicians and singers from the Ohio University family.

In Glidden Hall, the faculty recital presented a lively evening of Appalachian songs and stories. The performers included visiting artist from Brevard College, Brittnee Siemon, lecturer of music Debra Rentz, and assistant professor of voice Kelly Burns. Accompanied by pianist, Grace Lee, the trio sang ballads of love, spirit and American tradition.

As a visiting artist, Brittnee Siemon experienced a sense of nostalgia returning to OU. An alumna of the university, she received a bachelor of music in vocal performance and music therapy.

“Ohio University was a wonderful place to start networking and meeting people in my field. Not only in the music business, but in all other areas as well,” Siemon said. “It is never too late to start making connections.”

Siemon captured the attention of the audience with her astonishing vocal abilities. Performing four old American songs, she sang different styles and genres.

“I’ve done it all from concert to opera,” she said “I have a specialty in chamber music and early music. Personally, I believe it is critical to be a versatile performer in order to gain as much experience as you can.”

Serving as one of the soprano’s, OU’s own Rentz took the stage following Siemon’s performance of old American songs. Charming the crowd with her voice, the audience sat in admiration as they watched her sing traditional spiritual songs including “Give Me Jesus” and “In His Hands.”

After she received a bachelor of music in voice performance and music history from Illinois State University, Rentz came to OU to teach song literature. Ranging from German to French, the talented singer currently conducts classes to teach students how to sing in German, French and British.

Following Rentz's performance, Burns concluded the recital with his emotional love ballads. Working at the university as the assistant professor of voice, Burns has performed in countless operas, concerts, theatre and recitals.

As he recounted on those experiences, Burns mentioned his opportunity to travel abroad to sing in Germany. 

When asked if students should take on traveling abroad, he said: “The experience of living abroad outside of the United States is an experience of having different views on the world. Connecting this to music, we commonly sing in German, Italian and French. Therefore, students should get to know cultures and understand their values.”

Michaela Shockcor, a junior and student of Burns, attended the recital and was shocked by the amount of talent that filled the stage. Studying music therapy, Shockcor has experience in the musical profession.

“I thought the recital was wonderfully performed with the song that represent the Appalachian area,” she said.” All the performers brought their best works to entertain among all audiences. Seeing Professor Burns on stage was unique especially because he mentors me in the classroom as well.”

@faiithgalloway 

fg735514@ohio.edu

Clarification: This article has been updated to clarify the context of a quote from Brittnee Siemon and her title.