Query A Queer: Bi Visibility Day

In honor of Bi Visibility Day, we responded to questions regarding bisexuality, pansexuality and middle sexualities.

Q: What is bi erasure and how can people be a better bi ally?

delfin bautista: The bisexual community has had to consistently defend their identity from people both outside and inside the LGBT community. 

A common phrase that is tossed around is “the bisexual bridge” or the idea that all bi folks are actually gay and are too afraid to come out. Other common myths are that bisexuals are greedy, they can't decide and that when they are in a homosexual relationship, they are gay and when they are in a heterosexual relationship, they are straight. All of these are completely false. Using phrases like the bisexual bridge or “bi train to gay town,” calling them greedy and saying that they are gay or straight depending on who their current partner is are all forms of bi-erasure. These phrases are hurtful and delegitimize bi identities. 

If you have ever said any of those things or stood by as someone else did, fear not. You can still redeem yourself. You can be a better bi ally by calling people in when they say the things that were mentioned above (we use “call in” rather than “call out” as a way of widening the circle more so than pushing people away). Another thing that you can start doing is using more inclusive language such as saying marriage equality instead of gay marriage as you are excluding bi people and their relationships. 

Some celebrities who identify as bisexual include Anna Paquin of True Blood fame, British actor Alan Cumming, pop icon Lady Gaga, singer Ke$ha, comedian Margaret Cho, artist Frida Kahlo, author Alice Walker, American Horror Story diva Sarah Paulson, poet Walt Whitman, Blues legend Bessie Smith, singer-songwriter Frank Ocean, Rabbi Debra Kolodny and Civil Rights leader Malcolm X.

Q: Can you explain the meaning of bisexuality and other middle sexualities?

Cass Paul: Bisexuality, the “B” in “LGBTQIA,” is when someone is attracted to two or more genders. It is usually described as being attracted to one’s own gender and then at least one more. 

Historically, bisexuality meant that someone is attracted to men and women and left out folks that existed outside of the binary or did not adhere to one identity. For this reason, pansexuality branched off from bisexuality to accommodate for those that were attracted to folks regardless of their gender identity. In more recent years, the understanding of bisexuality has moved past folks being attracted to people only within the binary, but there are people that feel pansexuality is what describes their identity better.

Besides bisexuality and pansexuality, there are other sexualities that exist in the middle realm. Polysexuality and omnisexuality are also under the middle sexuality umbrella. Polysexual folks are attracted to multiple genders — this is different from pansexual folks because pansexuality is “all” genders or regardless of gender, and polysexuality may not be attracted to all genders, but two or more whether inside or outside the binary. Omnisexual folks are similar to pansexual folks, however, the difference being that pansexual folks love regardless of gender whereas omnisexual folks take gender into account, but the attraction does not change. 

People often lump all middle sexualities under “bisexual,” but this can be limiting to folks that do not directly identify with bisexuality or feel that bisexuality is exclusionary. To be more inclusive of everyone’s identities, it is more accommodating to use the terms “middle sexualities” or “Bi+” when referring to folks attracted to more than one gender.

---

Have questions? We have answers! Send your questions via email to lgbt@ohio.edu and/or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com; via Tumblr (oulgbtcenter); via Twitter to @oulgbtcenter with hashtag #qaqueer; or post/message to Facebook (oulgbtcenter). So bring it on, do it to it, and query a queer.

Send your questions: via email to lgbt@ohio.edu and/or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com; via Tumblr (oulgbtcenter); via Twitter to @oulgbtcenter with hashtag #qaqueer; or post/message to Facebook (oulgbtcenter). So bring it on, do it to it, and query a queer.

delfin is the Director of the LGBT Center, faculty advisor to the Latino Student Union, and adjunct lecturer for the Social Work Program and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.

Cass Paul is the Outreach Coordinator for the LGBT Center.