Snapchat has added augmented reality features that allow Bitmojis to perform actions in the app. Screenshot via Taylor Johnston

Snapchat brings Bitmojis to life with augmented reality

Snapchat users have been able utilize their Bitmojis on a whole new level during the past few weeks.

The company has combined the feature of cartoon avatars users can create for themselves and augmented reality technology which lets the characters come to life through the app’s camera.

While Snapchat bought the company in 2016 for more than $100 million, according to The Wall Street Journal, there wasn’t much that came along with it other than customizing your own character to look like yourself and help express your emotions.

Now, after a new update, users can create their own 3D Bitmoji and use it to animate them in their snaps to friends.

According to Recode, other social media platforms are beginning to unveil their own versions of Snapchat’s face masks, and Apple even announced that the iPhone X will offer augmented reality technology too.

This Twitter user thought Bitmojis were the dumbest thing ever until he experienced the new feature:

In order to activate this feature, just tap the camera screen in Snapchat and make sure you’re using the rear-facing camera. 

If you have a Bitmoji account connected to your Snapchat account, a 3D Bitmoji will be an option in the different lens choices at the bottom of the screen. 

When selecting a lens, the user will be able to control what the Bitmoji character does such as by walking around and moving your phone.

Bitmojis have a range of activities they can do such as dancing, drinking coffee and playing the electric guitar.

tj369916@ohio.edu

@TF_Johnston