Sydney Leckie dribbles the ball down the field during Ohio's game against Central Michigan on Sept. 24. (FILE)

Soccer: Bobcats end losing streak in dramatic overtime affair

Ohio was able to end its four-game losing streak and open Mid-American Conference play with a victory over Eastern Michigan on Friday thanks to some late-game heroics from Allie Curry and Hannah Jaggers. 

The 2-1 overtime victory over the Eagles (3-6-1) was the Bobcats’ (4-5-0) first win since Aug. 27, when they defeated Cleveland State 1-0.

Jaggers led the way for the Bobcats with a goal and four shots, two of which were on goal.

Ohio opened the contest aggressively, trying to attack the Eagles’ defense early. Coach Aaron Rodgers said that type of start was a point of emphasis for the team.

“We want to be aggressive on our home field,” he said. “We wanted to be able to put our stamp on the game as quickly as possible. … We showed what we were capable of, and that’s a mentality we need to build on.”

The Eagles would match the Bobcats’ style, resulting in a back-and-forth power struggle between the two teams for most of the game.

In the second half, the Eagles seemed to be closing in on a victory after a goal by Lindsey Shira in the 71st minute.

Despite this, Ohio continued to attack. With 38 seconds left in regulation, Curry knocked in a goal from a free kick.

“That was the last chance,” Curry said. “I just said, ‘It needs to go in the back in the net.’ … That was one of the best feelings, to know we could go into overtime.”

The Bobcats ended the extra period early — Jaggers found the net one minute into overtime.

“I was just thinking, ‘I have to hit this as hard as I can,’” she said.

Tyler Johnson

Sports