Diwali, the festival of lights, starts today; Rocky Horror returns to The Union

Today is Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017. Here’s what you need to know today:

News from The Post:

President Duane Nellis charts a “new world” for OU during inaugural address (The Post)

Lost Flamingo Company’s annual The Rocky Horror Picture Show begins today (The Post

Jefferson Market is selling student-grown produce (The Post)

Good morning,

Today marks the beginning of Diwali, also known as the Hindu festival of lights. The festival is one of the largest celebrations in India and signifies the triumph of light over darkness and good over evil, and is celebrated throughout a period of five days.

The festival tells the story of Prince Rama, who is sent to live in exile for 14 years under his father’s orders. However, Sita, Rama’s wife, is kidnapped by a fearsome king during Rama’s exile. Rama fights to rescue Sita, defeating the king and victoriously returns to his kingdom with his wife. During his return, the citizens of the kingdom welcome the two by lighting thousands of glowing oil lamps to guide them home.

Every year, Hindus celebrate the story by lighting glowing oil lamps all around the globe. Some families and individuals also decorate their houses by creating colorful rangoli artworks, using colored rice, dry flour or powder, to usher in good fortune for the upcoming year.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here

Athens Weather

The sun will be shining brightly all day and the high will be 73 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

Scores and Game Times.

Nothing new to report here.

You might also want to know…

President Donald Trump’s offer to compensate a grieving military father fell through. (Business Insider)

Kathleen Kennedy criticized sexual harassment within Hollywood and advocates for the culture to change. (Hollywood Reporter)

Ted Cruz has finally embraced his identity as the Zodiac Killer. (AVClub)

@summerinmae

my389715@ohio.edu