Annmarie Hoppel fights for the ball in the Ohio vs. Ohio State game. (FILE)

Field Hockey: Two-goal deficit too much for Ohio against Indiana

A two-goal deficit with 10 minutes left is a familiar situation for Ohio. Sunday's game against Indiana was the second straight game the Bobcats were in that situation. 

Ohio called a timeout with 10 minutes left to regroup and make changes to its strategy, searching for two goals. 

Ohio earned a penalty corner in the 64th minute, and, though the shot was blocked, kept possession. Brittany Keen fired a shot that was saved but fell to the stick of Maria Russell, who fired the ball into the goal.

Then only a one-goal game, Indiana stepped up its defensive performance and did not allow any more shots by Ohio.  

There was not enough time left for Ohio to comeback as it fell 3-2 to Indiana in Bloomington, Indiana.

One of Ohio's sole strengths this season has been penalty corners, and it was evident Sunday. Kendall Ballard scored her eighth goal of the season in the 20th minute with assists to Megan Silveira and Emma Eggleston.

Goalie Alex Pennington kept Ohio in the game with seven saves on the afternoon. Of the 15 shots for the Hoosiers, 11 were on goal, and Leah Warren picked up her •fifth defensive save of the season. 

Three first half goals propelled Indiana to a lead it would not relinquish. Taylor Swope, Kelsey Giese and Ciara Girouard each scored goals.

The final home game of the season is a must-win game for the Bobcats (3-10, 1-3 Mid-American Conference) to make the MAC Tournament. The game will start Thursday at 5 p.m. against Ball State (4-8, 0-1 MAC). 

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu