President Duane Nellis greeting a family on campus during his first day as Ohio University's president on June 12. (FILE)

Here’s how President Nellis celebrated his first Homecoming week

With his inauguration on the horizon and a full week of board meetings in the near future, President Duane Nellis ditched the suit and tie for a week full of Homecoming festivities last week.

Nellis kicked off his first Ohio University Homecoming week at the International Student Union’s International Dinner, where he took the opportunity to taste global cuisine and re-affirm his “strong” support for DACA students. 

On Thursday night, with the harvest moon illuminating the Baker Center parking lot, the president took to the stage for the Student Alumni Board’s “Yell Like Hell” pep rally. 

The next day, Nellis posed with the 2017 Homecoming Court before sending out the first in his series of “First Friday” letters, which will be released on the first Friday of every month. 

“Homecoming may be this week, but (first lady) Ruthie (Nellis) and I have felt the sensation of returning home for many months,” Nellis wrote. “‘Bobcat Pride’ is intoxicating and inescapable; it swells in my chest each time I see the Marching 110 perform, walk through the College Green, or hear of yet another award or accolade won by our students, faculty or alumni.”

As the kegs and eggs celebrations died down and local residents lined the streets to watch the Homecoming Parade on Saturday, the Nellises led the charge in style, cruising down College Street in a shiny red convertible. 

And as alumni prepared to pack Peden Stadium to watch the Bobcats take on Central Michigan Chippewas, Nellis was quick to join in the tailgating celebrations, closing out his first Homecoming week of many to come.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu