delfin bautista, the director of Ohio University's LGBT Center, gives an opening monologue during the National Coming Out Day Rally on Oct. 9, 2016, in the Bobcat Lounge in Baker Center. (FILE)

National Coming Out Day to show an outburst of pride

To Josiah Rawls, watching LGBT-identifying individuals in the Homecoming Parade is a positive sign for people who question their gender and sexual orientation.

“It’s great to have members of the community out and about, displaying their pride,” Rawls, a freshman studying communications, said. “It can serve as solace for those going through the decision of whether or not to come out.” 

Ohio University’s LGBT Center will be celebrating National Coming Out Day Friday in conjunction with Homecoming weekend. The center will also participate in the Homecoming Parade Saturday, according to LGBT Center Director delfin bautista. 

“As we toss ‘rainbow swag’ to the kids in the parade, they might not understand the meaning behind the item,” bautista, who uses they/them pronouns and the lowercase spelling of their name, said. “The hope is if that child ever grows up with the challenge of coming out, that child can think back to the parade (and) think back to the confidence and comfortability we displayed.”

Many of the events coordinated by the LGBT Center focus on the impact of both formal and non-formal activities in attempt to create a space where participants can feel comfortable. 

While the weekend will see the formality of rallies and participation in the Homecoming Parade, the LGBT Center will also host a casual Crafternoon session involving underwater basket weaving Friday.

“The hope is that whether or not someone is struggling with coming out, they see how comfortable those who have come out are,” bautista said. “Knowing that despite facing what can be a very fearful revealing, rallying within the community can give someone the confidence to be themselves.”

According to bautista, there has been an increase in outlets of expression conveying the message of understanding and acceptance. TV shows such as Glee and Modern Family have characters with traits LGBT-identifying individuals can relate to. 

“I think diversity among on-screen characters helps present different ideas and beliefs within a receptive setting,” Bry Russell, an undecided freshman, said.

Russell said characters such as Cameron Tucker from Modern Family are relatable and depicted in a way that doesn’t portray coming out as an LGBT-identifying individuals as people with personality traits that do not revolve around their sexual orientation.

“I look at Cam on Modern Family and I feel as though we can all laugh with him,” Russell said. “I think the creators of show the depict Cam so he can be funny and gay. While being gay is apart of who he is, the show does a good job of showing there is more to him than his sexual orientation."

rb873516@ohio.edu