On A High Note: Pale Waves continue to make waves

If you’re looking for a new band to obsess over as the leaves turn brown, I have a recommendation: Pale Waves. They are the next big thing on the indie scene. The four-piece female-led synth pop group from Manchester has the groove to go all the way. 

Who the heck is Pale Waves? They only have two singles that have been released on Spotify; both of them came out this year and neither of them were alternative smash hits. Yet somehow, the band landed a gig opening up for The 1975.

The 1975 frontman Matthew Healy directed the music video for Pale Wave’s second single, “Television Romance” and gave the band a shout out on his personal Instagram account, posting a story promoting “Television Romance.” He also recently joined them on stage in Prague for a surprise collaboration. 

A helping hand from the current occupant of the trippy, pop-rock throne can go a long way. Healy obviously saw potential in Pale Waves, or he would not have participated in so many different areas of their career.

“Television Romance” came out in August, and it’s the perfect summer song. Upbeat and catchy, the keyboard-heavy track uses the same ‘80s thematic elements that The 1975 and so many others are incorporating these days. 

“There’s a Honey,” Pale Waves’ single from earlier this year, is a melodic masterpiece. It’s simplistic lyrically, but complex musically. 

“I will give you my body/But am I sure that you want me/am I sure that you want me?” the chorus echoes. 

It’s the perfect debut single for an alternative band in 2017. It has edge and flare, while showcasing the band’s ability to dive head first into the electro-based world of modern music.

As for Pale Waves themselves, they’ve got the image down to a science. Front woman, Heather Baron-Gracie, has the classic grunge look. Black lipstick, black unkempt hair and outfits that could have easily been stolen from Kurt Cobain’s 1993 closet are her staples.

The other three members of Pale Waves followed suit, rocking edgy thrift store finds at all of their appearances. 

Pale Waves is all set up to be the next big indie band. They are refreshingly innovative, but also carefully strategic. 

Fresh off of their first major festival summer, Pale Waves has the momentum to launch an EP or a full length record within the next few months. Hopefully, we’ll hear more from them very soon.  

Halle Weber is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Have you heard of Pale Waves? Let Halle know by tweeting at her @HalleWeber13.