Joe Girardi is out as Yankees' manager. (photo via Wikimedia Commons user Keith Allison)

The Wrap: Congress inches closer to tax reform; Girardi out as Yankees’ manager

In the final week of October, Congress took another stop toward passing federal tax reform and President Donald Trump is taking action to combat the opioid crisis. Meanwhile, a legendary musician passed away, and an MLB team announced a major change to their coaching staff. Here’s more information on the top stories from the past week:

Congress passes federal budget, paves way for tax reform

Republicans are one step closer to revamping the federal tax code for the first time since the Reagan administration.

The U.S. House of Representatives approved the 2018 federal budget Thursday morning, clearing the way for tax reform legislation to pass through Congress. The budget narrowly passed on a vote of 216-212, despite zero Democrat votes and the dissent of 20 House Republicans.

The outline of the tax plan released in September will alter the current U.S. tax code considerably, and includes a slashing of the maximum corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 20 percent and a decrease in individual income brackets from seven to three.

The federal budget is expected to be the first major legislative victory for the Trump administration after the Senate failed to pass healthcare reform in July. Trump tweeted his approval Thursday after the budget passed.

Trump declares opioid crisis a “public health emergency”

Trump announced Thursday that he will direct the Department of Health and Human Services to declare the opioid crisis a public health emergency.

The new order alleviates certain regulations and restrictions to allow federal agencies to administer more grant money to directly combat opioids.

Some officials believe Trump’s order is “less sweeping” than originally thought to be. In August, Trump promised reporters that he would declare the opioid crisis a “national emergency.”

A “national emergency” would allow the federal government to utilize funds from Federal Emergency Management Agency’s Disaster Relief fund. A senior Trump administration official said that FEMA money is meant for natural disasters, not health emergencies, according to CNN.

The order will last 90 days, and can be renewed for an additional 90 days if the President believes it is necessary.

Acclaimed singer and pianist Fats Domino dies

Rock ‘n’ roll pioneer Fats Domino died of natural causes Wednesday in New Orleans. He was 89.

Domino’s traditional rhythm and blues style and signature piano performances made him one of the most popular artists of the 1950s and ‘60s. He amassed 37 records in the Billboard Top 40, and was a member of the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame’s 1986 inaugural class.

Domino was awarded the National Medal of Arts in 1998 by President Bill Clinton, but the award was lost during Hurricane Katrina. President George W. Bush personally visited Domino to replace the medal.

Various artists took to social media and the internet to pay tribute to Domino, including a notable statement from Paul McCartney.

Joe Girardi out as Yankees’ manager

The New York Yankees announced Thursday that Joe Girardi will not be returning as manager.

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman recommended the change to owner Hal Steinbrenner, according to ESPN. Girardi has served as the team’s manager for 10 seasons, and just completed the final year of his four year, $16 million contract.

"I want to thank Joe for his 10 years of hard work and service to this organization," Cashman said Thursday in a statement. "Everything this organization does is done with careful and thorough consideration, and we've decided to pursue alternatives for the managerial position.

Under Girardi, the Yankees reached the playoffs six times, including a World Series Championship in 2009. During the 2017 season, the Yankees reached the AL Championship Series for the first time since the 2012.

@Heeeeeres_Jonny

jp351014@ohio.edu