Beth and Randall got their first foster child in Tuesday's episode of This Is Us. (PROVIDED via @skelechiwatson on Twitter)

TV Recap: Sylvester Stallone gave some fatherly advice on ‘This Is Us’

Prepare to have the Rocky theme song stuck in your head. Sylvester Stallone made an appearance on This Is Us Tuesday and gave some good advice to Kate (Chrissy Metz) and Kevin (Justin Hartley). Meanwhile Beth (Susan Kelechi Watson) and Randall (Sterling K. Brown) welcomed their first foster child, but not without some difficulties. Here are the top moments you might have missed in Tuesday’s episode. 

Rebecca and Jack try to rekindle their love life

In the midst of going to AA meetings and covering his steps, Jack and Rebecca struggle to find romance in their marriage. When Rebecca meets with Miguel’s ex-wife Shelly (Wynn Everett), she gives Rebecca some advice. She tells her to sweep Jack off his feet and to have sex with her husband.

Rebecca picks up Jack in a nice car, but things don’t go as planned when it comes to the sex. Jack stops Rebecca and asks to go home. Jack ends up breaking down and talking to Rebecca.  

“I feel like I am holding on by a thread,” he said. 

He missed talking to Rebecca so much that he gets back in the car so they can talk more. They are flirting and get their banter back. Lately, fans have been seeing a lot about the couple’s darker days. It’s so refreshing to see the happy moments in their relationship. 

Past Randall tries to find his biological parents

When Randall (Niles Fitch) was in high school, he took out a classified ad to find his parents. He gets a letter from someone, but it isn’t until he tells Kate (Hannah Zeile) and Kevin (Logan Shroyer) that it’s from his supposed biological mom. 

Randall’s mom died shortly after he was born, so obviously it can’t be her. And sure enough he meets the woman, she turns out to be white and Randall doesn’t believe her. She wouldn’t stop mentioning the money Randall said he had. He storms off, upset about how things went down. 

When Kate and Kevin ask him why he wanted to find his parents in the first place, he said it was like a ringing in his ear that would never go away. Viewers already know how that worked out. Through his determination, he was able to find William (Ron Cephas Jones) on the series premiere. 

Randall and Beth get their first foster child

It has been three weeks since Beth and Randall were approved to take in a foster child. When the phone rings, Randall gets excited but Beth has to calm him down.

“The last time you got excited it was Vanity Fair asking to renew our subscription,” Beth said. Just more proof that Beth and Randall are relationship goals

But this time it’s the call Randall wants. They are getting a 12-year-old girl named Deja whose mother just got arrested. They get off to a rough start and it affects the whole family. 

“Can we give her back?” Annie (Faithe Herman) said. But the girls warm up to her when Deja comes into their room in the middle of the night. 

When Randall and Beth get news that Deja’s mom will be in prison for a while, Randall tries to connect with her on a more personal level by tell his story. Ultimately, the heart-to-heart doesn’t work and Deja storms off. 

The addition of this plot reinforces the idea Beth and Randall have the best storyline. They are such dynamic characters and it’s amazing to see how they tackle problems in their life.

Kate and Sylvester Stallone get some one-on-one time

Kevin is working on war film and it stars one of Jack’s favorite actors — Sylvester Stallone. Kate comes to set with Kevin and tells Stallone how much he meant to Jack. Every time jack was sick, he would watch Stallone’s movies. 

“I wish dad was here. Stallone was his hero,” she says to Kevin.

Kate has always been the character to reminisce over her father, but Kevin doesn’t want to talk about any of it. 

Kevin struggles with his dad’s death

After his talk with Kate, Stallone talks to Kevin and gives his sympathies for his father’s death. Kevin said it was a long time ago and that he’s over it, but Stallone doesn’t believe him. 

“In my experience, Kevin, there is no such thing as a long time ago,” Stallone said. “There are only the memories that mean something and the ones that don’t.” 

After that conversation, Kevin struggles with his lines. He has flashbacks of his times with Jack and blames Kate for telling Stallone. 

Later in the day, Kevin shoots an action scene and director Ron Howard tells Kevin that Stallone is like a father figure to him in the film. This triggers more flashbacks and Kevin injures his bad knee. This prompts him to call Kate and say it’s hard for him to talk about Jack’s death. 

“He’s just like you,” Kate says while turning to look at the urn Jack’s ashes are in. At the same time, Kevin takes a painkiller.

Could this be some foreshadowing? Jack was addicted to alcohol. And if Kevin is really like Jack, that could mean Kevin might get addicted to the painkillers. This wouldn’t be a surprising turn of events for the show. The storyline of addiction has been tackled a lot in the series and could be a recurring theme. 

This Is Us airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on NBC.

@georgiadee35

gd497415@ohio.edu