Shelby Campbell

Words I Might Have Ate: The Growlers haunting sound makes them the perfect Halloween band

Finding a band that will unintentionally haunt a listener down to the soul is not an easy task, but The Growlers seem to have accomplished it.

From their early work to their most recent album City Club, lead singer Brooks Nielsen rumbles over echoed guitars, making their music sound beautiful, yet mysterious. The lyrics often are sickly sweet. Songs such as “One Million Lovers,” depicts a love so strong that he would turn down 1 million other people to be with her. The lyrics often are self-deprecating to show how far out of his league he thinks she is. 

Every Growlers lyric sounds lazy, but in a beachy way. Nielsen sounds as though he puts no effort into his voice — he just sings. There is no push behind his voice, and the effortless quirk gives the music its charm. 

His voice lends itself well to the haunting tone behind the rest of the band. They sound like the background music for a Dia De Los Muertos celebration, with bouncy bass and synthesizers ringing in the background. The Growlers take Mariachi music and turn it into a punk mashup of genres that can’t be placed into the bounds of rock ‘n’ roll. 

Although the band experimented heavily on the Julian Casablancas-produced City Club, the album still is overflowing with their southwestern America draw. The new album experimented more with the bass and synthesizers, exploring new effects that draw out the naturally spooky aura of their music. Many of the effects sound like effects that would be in the background of intentionally creepy music, but The Growlers maintain their heavy, haunting sound without it sounding too manipulated.  

Even their older content’s sound is so grandiose that it doesn’t need the manipulation to sound different and engaging. Nielsen’s voice is unique enough to not need effects to match the music. 

The Growlers are the band to listen to to avoid corny, purposefully spooky Halloween music. Their eerie effects applied to their music, combined with Nielsen’s voice and lyrics makes The Growlers the quintessential ghostly band.

Shelby Campbell is a freshman studying journalism and political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Do you listen to The Growlers? Let Shelby know by tweeting her @bloodbuzzohioan.