(Provided via Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity Facebook page)

Ohio University students mourn death of freshman

Ohio University freshman student Allison Suhy died on Wednesday. 

Suhy, 18, was a freshman majoring in education and a member of Alpha Xi Delta fraternity. Alpha Xi Delta released a statement about her death on Facebook. According to the statement, she “shared a deep bond” with her sisters.

Alpha Xi Delta held a candlelight vigil on Monday at the chapter house on campus.

OU Spokeswoman Carly Leatherwood said the university did not know the cause of death. The Franklin County Coroner's office said the cause of death may not be determined for 12 weeks.

Caroline Braman, a freshman studying political science pre-law, considered Suhy a close friend. Braman was nervous she wouldn’t make good friends at OU, but when she met Suhy, she knew she would be a good friend.

“She was so much fun to be around,” Braman said. “She was always laughing and joking around.” 

Braman lived next to Suhy in Jefferson Hall and said she was considered the “mom” of their floor. If anyone needed her makeup done, hair curled or clothes fixed, she would go to Suhy.

“She was so selfless and would help everyone no matter who it was,” Braman said. “She will be forever known as a beautiful person inside and out. Jefferson Hall and Alpha Xi Delta will never be the same without her.”

Suhy went to high school in Independence, her friend Mary Scengie, a freshman studying nursing, said. She has a younger sister Jen, who is a junior in high school and a younger brother named Ryan. Suhy was also a cheerleader in high school.

Scengie said Suhy’s positive attitude was always comforting and she’s thankful for the positive impact Suhy put on her life.

“I could always count on her to lift me up if I was in a bad mood,” Scengie said. “I thank God everyday for putting someone like Ally in my life, even if it was just for a short three months.”

Leatherwood said OU is providing support to students and employees who are affected by the loss. 

Dean of Students Jenny Hall-Jones has been in contact with the Suhy family. 

“My heart goes out to Allison’s family and friends,” Hall-Jones said in a statement. “To lose someone you love is one is one of the most difficult things anyone can face, and doubly hard when you are away from home, family and support networks. We will continue to reach out to provide as much support as we can to help them through this difficult time.”

@ewagner19

ew047615@ohio.edu