Shelby Campbell

Words I Might Have Ate: Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile are a match made in heaven

Although Kurt and Courtney may be a dangerous name combination, Kurt Vile and Courtney Barnett established a mutualistic relationship with their music. Together, the two birthed a project so unique that it stands out among their solo work. 

This collaboration churned out a full-length album, Lotta Sea Lice, that captures both Barnett and Vile’s sounds. The two complement each other, drawing themselves out of the abyss of their own music. 

Barnett’s usual, dirty style adapts to fit with Vile’s slow, southern style. She slows herself down to level with Kurt. 

Vile and Barnett are an unlikely pair, but for the album, nothing could have worked better. The album is almost conversational, with the two going back and forth between verses.

Even when the two harmonize, it still sounds as though it’s banter between friends. Their cross-continental styles meld and forge into one, with southern rock and dirty, Australian rock talking as friends. Their styles are not similar, but meld together like pineapple on pizza. The project is strange and exotic, but never unnatural. Barnett is never Americanized by Vile. They take their own styles and merge them into a sound that sounds exactly how one would expect. Both of them change their sounds just a little to meet in the middle for collaboration. When either artist is singing, their voice sounds completely natural. They conform to each other’s standards to drag each other toward a neutral, completely melded sound. 

The whole theme of the album is the intercontinental collaboration, which they accomplish with ease. With Barnett’s easily recognizable Australian accent and Vile’s southern drawl, the duo collides between oceans. In “Continental Breakfast,” Barnett croons about conversations between her intercontinental friends over continental breakfast. The song itself accomplishes what the whole album seems to set out to do, which is creating art with people from very different backgrounds. 

The duo even created a playlist sharing network through Spotify that lets a user send and receive a playlist from someone in another continent in the spirit of the album. The unity of the album makes it even more special than just the music itself holds. 

Lotta Sea Lice has a sound that bridges continents and cultures. Courtney Barnett and Kurt Vile’s collaboration churned out a sound that has character and distinctive qualities that are distinguishable from both their solo work. Although they are not a likely duo, Vile and Barnett created an album so conversational and interesting that it spans the world. 

Shelby Campbell is a freshman studying journalism and political science at Ohio University. Please note that the views and opinions of the columnists do not reflect those of The Post. Have you listened to this duo? Let Shelby know by tweeting her @bloodbuzzohioan.