Ohio's Taylor Saxton slides safely into second base during the Bobcats' game against Bowling Green on April 21, 2017. The Bobcats won 7-1. (FILE)

Softball: Ohio goes 3-2 in Madeira Beach Invitational

Ohio went 3-2 in its first action of the season at the Madeira Beach Invitational. 

Danielle Stiene pitched in three of the games, getting wins Friday against Virginia — a 4-0 win for the Bobcats — and Sunday against Jacksonville State, a 3-0 win. She did not get a decision after an eight-inning, four-run performance in Saturday’s 12-4 extra-inning loss to Lipscomb. 

She struck out 29 over the weekend, 14 of those being Jacksonville State batters.

Freshman Madi McCrady won in her debut, when the Bobcats beat UNC-Greensboro 5-2. She pitched a complete game, giving up the two runs on six hits. She was the losing pitcher in both of Ohio’s losses, coming in relief for Stiene against Lipscomb and starting the second game Saturday against Massachusetts, a 7-2 loss. 

Transfer pitcher Kendall Meeks pitched 1 2/3 innings, giving up only one run in her first action for the Bobcats. 

Alex Day had four RBIs over the weekend, with a home run, triple and two doubles. Mikayla Cooper also hit a home run for the Bobcats over the weekend. 

Coach Jodi Hermanek was looking for her offense to find some power with some veterans in the lineup and got it — the Bobcats had 13 extra base hits over the five games. 

Ohio will face Delaware State and Wagner on Friday in its first two games of next weekend's NC State Tournament.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu